BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default GSC Cult Ambush Tag Along

The Cult Ambush rule allows A Genestealer Cults (GSC) Character to pick one friendly GSC Infantry to arrive with it. If I select another GSC Infantry Character to arrive with the first Character, could the second Chacacter also select a a different unit to arrive with it from cult ambush, given that they must still follow the 6" deployment restriction?

For example, a Magus selects an Acolyte Iconward, who in turn selects a squad of Neophytes, and they all arrive together via Cult Ambush.

My logic is that one Character selects a second character that is also an infantry, and then that character selects a squad to bring along as well, since no dice have been rolled, and a character can select an infantry.

thoughts??

Chaplain

The way it's worded I would say no

A character can select an infantry unit before the dice is rolled for him, the result is applied for both. Since there is no dice roll for the second character he can't choose a third unit.

The only thing is if we go by that, then you never actually roll for the first charachter because of the sequencing of events. The rules state

"During Deployment, you can set this unit up in ambush instead of on the battlefield. At the end of any of your movement phases, it can launch an ambush - when it does so, roll a dice and consult the table below.

If you wish, before rolling on the Cult Ambush table for a Genestealer Cults Character, you can pick one friendly Genestealer Cults Infantry unit that was also set up in ambush to arrive with them; make one roll on the Cult Ambush table and apply the same result to both units. However, each of these units must be set up within 6" of each other.

If your army is Battle-forged, a unit can only make use of this ability if every unit in its Detachment has the Genestealer Cults keyword."

The way I see the sequencing, you:
    -Select a unit to ambush (no die roll made yet)
    -Interrupt with Tag along (still no die roll)
    -Second Character has been selected to ambush and repeats (no die roll)
    -A third, fourth, fifth, etc. until a non-character is selected (no die roll)
    -roll a die and apply to "both" [ the way I see it, "both" is the both the first and second, both the second and third, etc]

technically, no die roll is ever made for the character with the tag along... a die roll is made, and the result is applied

that is the only reason this is even a question for me.

although, by my own omission, defining "both" like that is a bit of a stretch

even if it was ruled the way i see it, it wouldn't be entirely unfair. 50% of your units still have to start on the table, and there is still the chance that you roll poorly on the Cult ambush table, and all units you selected end up on the opposite side of the battle from where they need to be.

anyway, if you guys still disagree i wouldn't be super surprised. i get that i'm REALLY stretching definitions here, and there is a very strong case that I'm wrong. Just wanted to explain my reasoning. Thanks for the input!!