BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Plasma Vs. Melta

Do you favor melta or plasma? I like a mix of the two in vet squads.

Veteran-Sergeant

It really depends on their role.
    Are you in a rhino or on foot? If on foot then the longer range of the plasma might be better.
    In a Rhino, I'd say melta is better because of their greatness at tank hunting. But if you are going anti-MEQ then a pair of plasmas would have the potential to kill more.
    Personally in my Red Corsair Chaos Marine army I take a squad of ten chaos marines with 2 meltas and an Aspiring Champ with a combi-melta. They are really good at popping land raiders and leman russes and can hold thier own against any counter charge (chaos marines being the best basic troop type in the game ). But my other squad of chaos marines has a plasma and combi-plas in it (and an Autocannon if you need to know). they are foot sloggers and are usually for objective camping.

Also, what are vet squads? Are you talking about Sternguard? Then I wouldn't bother. The special issue ammo is pretty sweet on it's own and you can bloat the cost of a squad pretty fast by adding specials or combi weapons. If I were goin to take anything in Sternguard it would be a few combi-meltas just in case I have to pop a tank.

Dosadi

It's hard to go wrong with Meltas. For IG, I only really like plasmaguns in command squads with medics.

Veteran-Sergeant

LOL...I compleatly missed that you were asking about guard vets.

Ya, meltas rock...

Dosadi

meltas beat plasma hands down. all the plasma has is its longer range, so for 12 inches you loss a point of strength, not as good ap, and it gets hot. plus its not melta!

Quote Originally Posted by splnes View Post
    meltas beat plasma hands down. all the plasma has is its longer range, so for 12 inches you loss a point of strength, not as good ap, and it gets hot. plus its not melta!

But at 12 inches you DO get twice the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with Meltas. For IG, I only really like plasmaguns in command squads with medics.
    Quoted for truth. You really can't beat meltas; the more the merrier.
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Default Melta all the way

If you look at it - melta allows you to assault - to get the maximum benefits of Plasma - you need to be within 12 inches - which is usually the distance someone needs to assault you. So if you are using plasma to the fullest, someone is going to smack you back for using super heated death. Also with melta you can assault, thus adding more hits and more chances to cause wounds and kill the squad out.

Plus plasma costs a hell of a lot more. The extra 5 points really starts to take effect especially when you lose one guy to overheat.

Also mech is the king, and melta is the kind of killing mech. A plasma shot has a small chance of dealing with that rhino blocking your way, while a melta gun will make a nice creater most of the time.

The only time I like plasma is on plague marines, as the assault them scenario is fine as they take away the charging extra attack. Mix that with a tough butt and you got an annoying unit that can use plasma to the fullest and still not get boned by being assaulted etc.
    Goatboy - BolS Writer/Artist/Commission Miniature Painter/NINJA!!

Walrus Lord

I think it really depends on the rest of your army. If you have a lot of anti-tank weapons on your own tanks or in special squads then you don't really need the melta, Plasma is always better at killing infantry. If however you don't have a lot of anti-tank in your other units and are relying on infantry to kill tanks, then you will need some melta in your troops. While I think in general I have gotten more use out of Melta in 5th, plasmas still have a good place.

In a guard army there is nothing quite like rolling up with a couple of command (Company or Platoon) squads armed with plasmas and dumping 16+ plasma shots into the enemies prime assault unit. The number or time I have made problems go away with massed plasma-gun fire (in a way only the IG can really do) has made me a big fan of Plasma. In Guard at least.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatboyBOLS View Post
    If you look at it - melta allows you to assault - to get the maximum benefits of Plasma - you need to be within 12 inches - which is usually the distance someone needs to assault you.
    It all depends on how you are using it, like the Walrus mentioned. Coming out of a drop pod you can't assault anyway and you'll probably get killed the next turn, so would you want one shot or two? Thanks plasma, you get to ride with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast