BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Plasma Vs. Melta

Do you favor melta or plasma? I like a mix of the two in vet squads.

Veteran-Sergeant

It really depends on their role.
    Are you in a rhino or on foot? If on foot then the longer range of the plasma might be better.
    In a Rhino, I'd say melta is better because of their greatness at tank hunting. But if you are going anti-MEQ then a pair of plasmas would have the potential to kill more.
    Personally in my Red Corsair Chaos Marine army I take a squad of ten chaos marines with 2 meltas and an Aspiring Champ with a combi-melta. They are really good at popping land raiders and leman russes and can hold thier own against any counter charge (chaos marines being the best basic troop type in the game ). But my other squad of chaos marines has a plasma and combi-plas in it (and an Autocannon if you need to know). they are foot sloggers and are usually for objective camping.

Also, what are vet squads? Are you talking about Sternguard? Then I wouldn't bother. The special issue ammo is pretty sweet on it's own and you can bloat the cost of a squad pretty fast by adding specials or combi weapons. If I were goin to take anything in Sternguard it would be a few combi-meltas just in case I have to pop a tank.

Dosadi

It's hard to go wrong with Meltas. For IG, I only really like plasmaguns in command squads with medics.

Veteran-Sergeant

LOL...I compleatly missed that you were asking about guard vets.

Ya, meltas rock...

Dosadi

meltas beat plasma hands down. all the plasma has is its longer range, so for 12 inches you loss a point of strength, not as good ap, and it gets hot. plus its not melta!

Quote Originally Posted by splnes View Post
    meltas beat plasma hands down. all the plasma has is its longer range, so for 12 inches you loss a point of strength, not as good ap, and it gets hot. plus its not melta!

But at 12 inches you DO get twice the shots.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredpraetorian View Post
    But at 12 inches you DO get twice the shots.
    Yeah, but that's also twice as many opportunities for the thing to get hot!
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

yeah i forgot about the rapid fire part of the plasma. but then you cant assault. I play a Blood Angels list so those are some words i never want to here, now in my bike army i think plasma will work out better.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherJoe View Post
    Yeah, but that's also twice as many opportunities for the thing to get hot!
    NO BALLS....NO BABIES.....It's a risk but, I like to gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by splnes View Post
    yeah i forgot about the rapid fire part of the plasma. but then you cant assault. I play a Blood Angels list so those are some words i never want to here, now in my bike army i think plasma will work out better.

Yeah, I can see where it wouldn't be good in a BA army. I only used pasma pistols in my Space Wolf army. For special weapons, it was melta all the way.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast