BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I think both weapons have their roles, but the plasma gun is certainly more versatile.

I really like Plasma for my Marines in Drop pods. Sure melta is great for taking out a Land Raider, but often I land in the rear armor of a Leman Russ, and heck, I prefer the two shots at S7 to the one at S8 because I roll ones far too often.

Plus with Marines, plasma's disadvantages are mitigated somewhat by the better armor.

Interesting. I was thinking of giving the drop pods squads in [URL="http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/"]my Space Wolves army[/URL] melta guns to get the job done every time. After all a close range melta gun is going to burn through any tank better than a plasma gun will.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseer View Post
    After all a close range melta gun is going to burn through any tank better than a plasma gun will.
    True, but I can't tell you how many times I've rolled a 1 to hit with the meltagun or 3 on 2D6 for penetration against Av12. Maybe my plasma guns are just "luckier".

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with Meltas. For IG, I only really like plasmaguns in command squads with medics.
    Quoted for truth. You really can't beat meltas; the more the merrier.
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Default Melta all the way

If you look at it - melta allows you to assault - to get the maximum benefits of Plasma - you need to be within 12 inches - which is usually the distance someone needs to assault you. So if you are using plasma to the fullest, someone is going to smack you back for using super heated death. Also with melta you can assault, thus adding more hits and more chances to cause wounds and kill the squad out.

Plus plasma costs a hell of a lot more. The extra 5 points really starts to take effect especially when you lose one guy to overheat.

Also mech is the king, and melta is the kind of killing mech. A plasma shot has a small chance of dealing with that rhino blocking your way, while a melta gun will make a nice creater most of the time.

The only time I like plasma is on plague marines, as the assault them scenario is fine as they take away the charging extra attack. Mix that with a tough butt and you got an annoying unit that can use plasma to the fullest and still not get boned by being assaulted etc.
    Goatboy - BolS Writer/Artist/Commission Miniature Painter/NINJA!!

Walrus Lord

I think it really depends on the rest of your army. If you have a lot of anti-tank weapons on your own tanks or in special squads then you don't really need the melta, Plasma is always better at killing infantry. If however you don't have a lot of anti-tank in your other units and are relying on infantry to kill tanks, then you will need some melta in your troops. While I think in general I have gotten more use out of Melta in 5th, plasmas still have a good place.

In a guard army there is nothing quite like rolling up with a couple of command (Company or Platoon) squads armed with plasmas and dumping 16+ plasma shots into the enemies prime assault unit. The number or time I have made problems go away with massed plasma-gun fire (in a way only the IG can really do) has made me a big fan of Plasma. In Guard at least.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatboyBOLS View Post
    If you look at it - melta allows you to assault - to get the maximum benefits of Plasma - you need to be within 12 inches - which is usually the distance someone needs to assault you.
    It all depends on how you are using it, like the Walrus mentioned. Coming out of a drop pod you can't assault anyway and you'll probably get killed the next turn, so would you want one shot or two? Thanks plasma, you get to ride with me.

I prefer plasma.

I actually don't have that much dedicated Anti-Tank in my armored co., but I do have many dual purpose guns such as Battlecannons (not great against AV14 but great against any other tank) and some lascannons. If I'm not playing an army that takes a billionty five land raiders, I have a Vanquisher and two Russes all with lascannons. Along with the Demolisher, et al. So my army is pretty set against tanks.

That said, sometimes I do regret it when my poor plasmagunner self-immolates. But then I feel less bad when the enemy is out of assault range because of it...lol.

see i'm not a fan of plasma rifles, pistols on the other hands i would trade out any day. bolt for plasma? yeah no-brainer! but the best use of the plasma in the game has to be in the hands of obilts!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast