BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swearing the the Grim, Dark future

I was trying to flesh out some of the NPC`s in my dark heresy game, and realized one vaguely startling fact. Obviously the inhabitants of the 41st milenium aren`t all pious and virtuous people, and yet I only know of two or three swear words in 40K.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any that weren`t planet exclusive. All I know is `frak`from the Ciaphas Cain books but that`s a Valhallan swear word. I also just realized I don`t know how to count since I said above I knew two or three.

Long story short, can anybody help me out here

Chaplain

There's 'Feth' and 'throne' that I know of.

Dan Abnett has characters throwing "bollocks" around as well.

Well, 'frak' is old as dirt and older than 40k (or WFB). 'Throne' or 'Emperor' in place of 'God' in various curses. I'm pretty sure 'damn' is used once in a while.

You can always grab a British (or Austraillian) curse and use it in America (or vice-versa) and probably get away with it sounding different enough.

Scout

Grox-lover, Grox-brain or something similar, also muddy or dirt crawler from a character born on a starship or space station ( i.e. Voider) when h e is talking to folks from a planet.

A Navigator or Psyker might insult non-Psyker by referring to them as "flickering" , "deaf" or "numb".

Don't forget about "gak".

Scout

I made a few comedy stories and they replaced "Frak" with "Frag" or "Fraggin hell", they still use other things from nowadays like "Stump" to mean idiot... I do have the 4th edition Guard codex which has these in it: (It's not all swearing but can be used in a hostile way)

Blunt - Psyker term for non psychic
    Plank, Bone 'Ead - Dumb, Idiot
    Catachan Kiss - Headbutt, Between the eyes
    Do a Yarrick - Take a trophy from a slain enemy
    Emperor's Benediction - Mercy Killing
    Freak, Brain, Bolt Magnet - Derogatory term for psykers
    Gun-Baby - Whiteshield or conscript
    Savlar - Thief or drug addict
    Scrambled - Insane
    Toy Soldiers, Glory boys - Storm Troopers
    Twist - Mutant

There just out o the codex but theres heaps, black library novels are a good start, especially Guard one's, and yes damn is still used, its in waiting death a far bit

Chapter-Master

I imagine that a lot of people probably swear by the Emperor and his various body parts and attributes. "Emperor's Sword!" "Emperor's Wounds!" "Emperor's Gaze!" for the moderately pious, "Emperor's Balls!" for the less so. Don't forget that the Imperial Cult includes lots of other saints and demigods, so you might also here, I don't know "Katherine's Tits!" As in "Katherine's tits, that's a big Tyranid! Run for it, boys!"

Initiate

you could try "youz worze dan a squigherder, youz Gitz" I hear that one's popular

I'm not aware of any universal swear words on 40K, which is to their credit. The Imperium's too big for that. Although "frak" is certainly an old fake swear word, it's totally sensible for that to be Valhallan-specific, just like "feth" is Tanith-specific (and actually a religious curse, not a reference to sex).

So I think the most realistic way to go is to make up your own curses. As I observe, people only really use two things as curse words: references to deity (and to a lesser extent, saints) and things that are vaguely shameful. There are all sorts of variations on the Emperor and saints you can work with ("Throne" is common in 40K lit, but I think "God's Throne" or "Tell him he can suck the Emperor's putrescent gold testicles" fit just as well). And then I would ask yourself what things your NPC's culture finds vaguely shameful. Sex, butts, primary sex organs, and bodily waste dominate the list in English-speaking countries. If that's true for your NPCs, you can make up new words to express that. But maybe their list is different. Maybe their swear words are about open wounds, sweat, and elbows. If the words you make up are still foreign to the players, it could be an interesting bit of culture to find out out when the PCs finally ask, "So what does 'gezsh' actually mean, anyway?"
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 03-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Chapter-Master

We also blaspheme, isn't that why the french called us the *******s?*
    wtf the filters set for blasphemy but i can say wanker?

*god damns

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast