BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Trukks ram?

you cannot ram, the ram upgrade allows you to tank shock. Although ramming is a type of tank shock, you must have the tank rule to able to perform this type of tank shock.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybuttwhisker View Post
    you cannot ram, the ram upgrade allows you to tank shock. Although ramming is a type of tank shock, you must have the tank rule to able to perform this type of tank shock.
    Not according to the Ork FAQ.

Q. Can you use the Deffrolla when Ramming vehicles or does it only work when Tank Shocking non-vehicle units?
    A. The death rolla does indeed inflict D6 S10 hits against vehicles, as Ramming is just a type of Tank Shock.

if this is the part of the FAQ your referring to, all this tells us is that a battlewagon, which is already a tank, gets a bonus from it's deffrolla when it rams. It does not say trukks may ram, indeed nowhere in the faq does it say that. This part confirms that indeed ramming is a type of tank shock, however in the rulebook it tells us only tank vehicles may use this type of tank shock.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybuttwhisker View Post
    however in the rulebook it tells us only tank vehicles may use this type of tank shock.
    I'm AFB at the moment, but I'm fairly sure it tells us only tanks may Tank Shock in general; I don't recall it ever making an explicit statement about being a tank in order to Ram.

Chapter-Master

it does not need an explicit statement.
    Ramming is a Type of Tank Shock. If one has Tank Shock, you can then execute all sub-categories of Tank Shock.
    A 'Ram' grants the Trukk 'Tank Shock'. That would include all rights and rules pertaining to 'Tank Shock'.

The rulebook has a hierarchical structure (a 'a lobster trap gate system' would be another analogy)-- if no one followed this, then all the rules would make no sense. There would be no order to movement--- you could use Harybutt's example that you could choose to move 8", because of not following the implicit hierarchy of the Rulebook.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 08-29-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Ramming is a Type of Tank Shock. If one has Tank Shock, you can then execute all sub-categories of Tank Shock.
    A 'Ram' grants the Trukk 'Tank Shock'. That would include all rights and rules pertaining to 'Tank Shock'
    That would be my take on it as well, particularly given the Ork FAQ setting just such a precedent. Barring an explicit statement in the Ram rules saying "Only a Tank may ever Ram," I see no reason a Trukk with Reinforced Ram can't perform a Ram. Mr. Buttwhisker seems to be implying though that there is such an explicit statement in the Ram rules, but I don't have access to my book to check.

Chapter-Master

The Ram Rules specifically state that a 'ram' is a special type of 'Tank Shock'. p69.

I find it funny that people even ask if a truck with a ram can ram.

That's my understanding of the rules, too. In general only tanks can ram, because the rule for tank shock and ramming applies only on tanks. But the reinforced ram grants tank shock for the vehicle and should grant ramming either. The reason why ramming is not explicitly stated is because the ork codex was written short before the 5th edition. So they weren't able to write something about ramming in the codex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12