BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default SW and ant-psychic powers

So, the question is if I cast a psychic power on a SW unit with a Runepriest with a wolf tail tailisman and another model in the unit with a Wolf tail talisman, do they get to try to dispel my power 3 times. Or what if there are 2 runic weapons within 24 inches?

As a general rule you only get one such attempt per type of wargear/rule etc.

Basically, if you have a Wolftail and a runic weapon you get two tries. If you have two wolftails or 2 runic weapons they don't stack.

Chapter-Master

I particularly do not working with 'general rules'. No where does the rule for the Tailsman (p.62) or the Runic Weapon (p.36) state that these powers do not stack.

However, the FAQ does state only one runic weapon can be used. The description of the tailsman states the either the model, or the unit, takes the test-- the language does not leave room for multiple rolls.

Essentially, you can have 5000 rune priests in one unit, and each with a tailsman. You can make one runic weapon roll, and if that fails, you can make one tailsman roll.

Chapter-Master

I agree that you don't necessarily only get one dispel attempt. Really, the precedent is that you get one attempt per means; that is you can attempt one dispel via psychic hood, one via a different special rule, and one via a third, etc, unless it specifically says it does not state.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Okay, I need some specific page numbers because I can't find anything that say that he cannot use X number of Wolf tails and a runic all one 1 power. Right now my all powerful psychic nids (who are supposed to be superior at shutting down psychic abilities) are getting pwned by SW in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Flummer View Post
    Okay, I need some specific page numbers because I can't find anything that say that he cannot use X number of Wolf tails and a runic all one 1 power.
    For runic weapons, see page 36 of the codex, which states, "whenever an enemy model succeeds on a Psychic test within 24" of one or more models with a Runic Weapon, roll a dice ..." (and if you didn't know that's what page 36 said, you should read the [url=http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_Jan2010]published correction[/url]). That makes it clear that even if you had 5000 runic weapons within 24" of an enemy model that just passed a psychic test, you would only get one dispel attempt.

Wolf tail talismans have a different wording (and one that GW did not choose to correct when they chose to correct the runic weapon wording), so in theory you could have multiple wolf tail talisman dispels.

Suppose you had two rune priests within 24" of a zoanthrope, both of whom were attached to each other (and so formed a single unit) and both of whom had a wolf tail talisman. By my read of the rules, if the zoanthrope blasts that unit with a psychic power, the two rune priests would get one dispel attempt (for having one or more runic weapons in range) and two wolf tail talisman dispel attempts (for twice having a model with a wolf tail talisman, or their unit, affected by a psychic power).

Chapter-Master

It will be determined by the specific rules of the wargear used to dispel the psychic powers. There is no general rule in the rulebook that covers this, though there may be an FAQ or two that says something.

For example; Runic armor only states that you "get a 5+ invulnerable save against wounds caused by psychic powers". That stacks with psychic hoods and the like.

However, the Wolf Tail Talisman states" If a models with the talisman is in the affected unit... roll a d6. On a 5+, the power is dispelled." Thus, they do not stack. It doesn't say 'one attempt to dispel per talisman'. It states 'if there is at least one talisman in the affected unit, then you may roll a single d6 to dispel'. You don't get one d6 per talisman, you just get one d6, as long as at least one talisman is in range.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

As an interesting side note, if you have a rune priest and an inquisitor with psychic hood in the same list, you can attempt to dispel every psychic power with both. Now THAT'S psychic defense.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

Funny, Flummer was asking for page numbers... I posted page numbers in my earlier post.