BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Question about IG Veteran squads...

Good day,

I Was just going over the 40k errata and FAQ last night when I happened across a tidbit about veterans. Is it still legal to have one squad equipped with a heavy flamer, two normal flamers and a demo charge? All the rest of the squad has shotguns to my knowledge. I have a friend who uses 3 such units mounted inside Valkyries and one Vendetta. They are very effective but very squishy. I just don't understand the language all so well.

Thanks!

Brother-Sergeant

Yep. Perfectly legal and a very awesome way to get some short ranged "oomph" into your army. I give him mad props for using Shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsemourn View Post
    Good day,

I Was just going over the 40k errata and FAQ last night when I happened across a tidbit about veterans. Is it still legal to have one squad equipped with a heavy flamer, two normal flamers and a demo charge? All the rest of the squad has shotguns to my knowledge. I have a friend who uses 3 such units mounted inside Valkyries and one Vendetta. They are very effective but very squishy. I just don't understand the language all so well.

Thanks!
    Yep. The Demo charge isn't a special weapon, it's from their doctrine. And the 3 special weapons is great for tank hunting if you take 3 meltaguns. But yes, squishy. Very squishy.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    Yep. The Demo charge isn't a special weapon, it's from their doctrine. And the 3 special weapons is great for tank hunting if you take 3 meltaguns. But yes, squishy. Very squishy.
    They're not that squishy if they stick and move (via the transports) Or if you upgrade them to carapace armor (pricey.)

Veteran-Sergeant

Problem with the 3 flamer outfit on veterans is that you're wasting their high BS on an auto-hit weapon. I'm not saying it's an awful idea, but you can stuff heavy flamers on the Chimeras if you really think you might need some extra templates.

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    Problem with the 3 flamer outfit on veterans is that you're wasting their high BS on an auto-hit weapon. I'm not saying it's an awful idea, but you can stuff heavy flamers on the Chimeras if you really think you might need some extra templates.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels like that! This guys unit sounds like a fairly effective unit(except for the heavy flamer part) but I cant seem to get away from giving them plasma or melta
    Last edited by RocketRollRebel; 08-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chapter-Master

Don't worry about wasting the ballistic skill. That's chasing a sunk cost. Even if you're wasting a few points on the unused ballistic skill, you might still get better profits from a unit that has three flamers in it. How many other units can you get that many flamers in (other than a command squad).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Scout

He has not faced me since the new Tyranid book came to be. Not in a proper match anyway (battle missions). With the addition of hive guard, trygon primes and a brood of 2 dakkafexen accompanied by 2 tyranid primes... I think he might be nervous.

Well, all of that stuff is Vendetta-fodder anyways. Best way I worked out to deal with Hive Guard: Marbo does his DS/infiltrate/whatever right next to them and tosses his demo charge, hopefully inflicting 2-3 wounds. The Vendetta with heavy bolters then wipes out the remainder.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Scout

That would be an effective way to deal with them. If you can pull it off. Marbo isn't exactly a useful unit against tyranids. Unless the nid player fields warriors. Otherwise your demo charge is killing about 20 points worth of gants or removing a single wound from a MC. Then he dies and the consolidation move is used to the nid players advantage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast