BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Exactly what level of authority is needed to approve the account applications? I thought it was admins only, but can bureaucrats as well? The mediawiki documentation is vague.
    Only bureaucrats can see the requests and can confirm them, normal admins/sysops don't.

  2. #12

    Default

    When are the changes going to go through?

    And what is the solution to the lack of bureaucrats to accept account requests?

  3. #13
    Fly Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    OK, we need to ensure there is at least bureaucrats on each wiki (they can be the same person) who can do a weekly look at applications. Between the group, that should give us decent coverage.

    1) are there any wikis who dont have anyone besides me (bigred)?
    2) does any current admin want bureaucrat rights to do the weekly sweeps?


    Timing wise - I have added the update to registration to our list of site jobs, but there are a couple of other jobs in front of it right now. It will be a few weeks.

    -Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    OK, we need to ensure there is at least bureaucrats on each wiki (they can be the same person) who can do a weekly look at applications. Between the group, that should give us decent coverage.

    1) are there any wikis who dont have anyone besides me (bigred)?
    2) does any current admin want bureaucrat rights to do the weekly sweeps?


    Timing wise - I have added the update to registration to our list of site jobs, but there are a couple of other jobs in front of it right now. It will be a few weeks.

    -Larry
    I think english fantasy only has you active. I would like to do the sweeps atleast for the fantasy eng lexi.

    Also when the register page gets an update you should likely make a newpost about it promoting so we can have new editors from the get-go.

  5. #15

    Default

    Did you also put for fixing the emails in outlook being classified as spam and the problem with the invisible ad bar at bottom of the lexi?

  6. #16
    Battle-Brother
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Leipzig, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Working as a system engineer with specialisation in corporate mail systems, I can tell you, preventing a classification as SPAM is sometimes very hard. Nearly all mail providers, or administrators, or mail programs use an own kind of spam defence configuration. Finding a way to get clean through them all is nearly impossible. In this cases you need redefining the sending mail servers configuration mostly all time someone says "your mails are marked as spam in my app". In most cases it isn't a problem of the sending mail server but a misconfiguration of the receiving anti virus (with anti spam) and the mail program.
    "Die Menschheit ist zu chaotisch, um wahre Ordnung anzunehmen." / "Humanity is to chaotic for true order." Perturabo, 999.M30

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRonin View Post
    Working as a system engineer with specialisation in corporate mail systems, I can tell you, preventing a classification as SPAM is sometimes very hard. Nearly all mail providers, or administrators, or mail programs use an own kind of spam defence configuration. Finding a way to get clean through them all is nearly impossible. In this cases you need redefining the sending mail servers configuration mostly all time someone says "your mails are marked as spam in my app". In most cases it isn't a problem of the sending mail server but a misconfiguration of the receiving anti virus (with anti spam) and the mail program.
    The problem isn't really that the mails are classified as Spam, the problem is that outlook automatically deletes them unless you specifically say Bols mail is a safe one and even then it's not guaranteed that you will receive them. It doesn't send to garbage or spam folder, it just deletes them.

  8. #18
    Battle-Brother
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Leipzig, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
    The problem isn't really that the mails are classified as Spam, the problem is that outlook automatically deletes them unless you specifically say Bols mail is a safe one and even then it's not guaranteed that you will receive them. It doesn't send to garbage or spam folder, it just deletes them.
    This counts to the category of a to strong set junk mail filter, depending only on safe lists. Automatically deleting mails is always a poor choice. You can try some other settings like Microsoft described here: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-d982c8d52f6b

    I don't now the inner workings of Lexicanum mailflow, but the following things I can read out of the header and MXTOOLBOX.com:
    1. You are sending: envelope-from="[email protected]";
    2. But the following mail server makes the connection: Received: from belloflostsouls.net
    3. bolsinteractive.com and belloflostsouls.net have different MX-records
    4. None of both domains have an SPF-Record in their dns-entries.

    There are a few things the mail admins of BOLS can do:
    1. You can check the domain configuration and decide for one mail domain.
    2. You can introduce SPF-records to better the SPAM-ranking.
    "Die Menschheit ist zu chaotisch, um wahre Ordnung anzunehmen." / "Humanity is to chaotic for true order." Perturabo, 999.M30

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRonin View Post
    This counts to the category of a to strong set junk mail filter, depending only on safe lists. Automatically deleting mails is always a poor choice. You can try some other settings like Microsoft described here: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-d982c8d52f6b

    I don't now the inner workings of Lexicanum mailflow, but the following things I can read out of the header and MXTOOLBOX.com:
    1. You are sending: envelope-from="[email protected]";
    2. But the following mail server makes the connection: Received: from belloflostsouls.net
    3. bolsinteractive.com and belloflostsouls.net have different MX-records
    4. None of both domains have an SPF-Record in their dns-entries.

    There are a few things the mail admins of BOLS can do:
    1. You can check the domain configuration and decide for one mail domain.
    2. You can introduce SPF-records to better the SPAM-ranking.
    The info on that link/article is either severely outdated or outright wrong, since I'm pretty sure I didn't ever change my junk email settings before and plenty of other people didn't and it was still being deleted.

    Thanks, I hope the admins heed your advice.

  10. #20

    Default

    I think we should add a password section to the registry menu to bypass all of these problems with emails not being received.

    EDIT: Is it possible to change a default position in the preferences from activated to deactivated after creating an account? I think having the "Email me when a page or file on my watchlist is changed" maybe why the email was automatically sent to be erased in the first place.
    Last edited by Ashendant; 10-25-2017 at 04:01 AM.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •