BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Resurrecting the Necrons

Recently, I bought a Necron Army.I fancied something different, xenos, and quick to paint. Now, although I've brought Blood Angels latest codex to a draw inside my first 3 games, the next time my opponent used a supposed 'suicide' squad of sternguard to use nasty poisoned rounds on my Nightbringer - he died quite quickly. I then watched over 50 gauss shots from several squds only kill 1 of a 10 man squad - because of dice, then SP FNP. Whilst the monoliths are amusing as hell, its just too brittle an army without relying on luck.

Now, I didn't want to prompt people to tell me to stick with it or tell me you are the uber necron lord and you always table everyone - what I wanted to discuss was that, for poos and giggles, i went back to Dawn of War Soulstrom, and started the Necron Campaign. And boy, do those digital sprites play like I actually imagine the fluff to play! Absolute nails, everything is an afterthought behind legions of warriors and a nails lord, just tipping back the enemy until you resurrect the monlith then royally bone them silly.

So, I thought, with the other thread about DE about to be the new cheese, do you think GW will do Necrons justice with the next ed? What needs to stay, what needs to go? I for one would like to see fearless in, and the effects of some deathstar unit smashing you in hth and catching you vs initiative, not preempt WBB - I would pay up to Plague Marine points and still think it was worth it.

Any thoughts?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Sergeant

I think that GW will do well with the crons, making them strong opponents again. Fearless would be nice for them but I wouldn't want to see another Nightbringer-esque character in there, I don't like hero-hammer myself though the NB would still be fine with me (he dies easy enough but kills well). I can't wait to see what they do with them and eagerly await this release.

Battle-Brother

Personally, I'd like to see the following changes for sure.

1. Gauss becomes rending. Might as well remove Heavy Destroyers from the codex at that point, though.
    2. We'll Be Back keeps its name and fluff but uses the Feel No Pain rule. Feel No Pain would actually help a bit in close combat, unlike WBB, and does away with all those awkward problems about checking for WBB eligibility.
    3. I'd love Stubborn for Warriors, even if their leadership was reduced to 9. I'd take Fearless, however. That way they wouldn't be complete tar pits in close combat.

Those are the main ones I think are necessary. Other ideas I've liked but see issues with have included
    1. Slow but Purposeful for Warriors: might be overkill if gauss causes rending, but fits the fluff.
    2. Doing away with Phase Out altogether: While I hate the way PO limits my list building, making Monoliths and the C'tan risk-free could lead to the elimination of the C'tan from the codex altogether, as well as distressing numbers of Monolith spam lists. My main objection to Phase Out, aside from the list building problem, is that it requires Necrons to be overpowered in some hard-to-quantify way. Should they all cost 75% of what they would without PO? A Warrior with FNP and a rending gun would have to cost, what, 20 points? Maybe even as much as Nurgle marines? But with phase out shouldn't that be 15 points? And what happens when enough overpowered, underpriced Warriors all shoot at once?
    3. Different "flavors" of Necron Lord: I want more information. I'd personally love to have a Lord on a Wraith body or even a twisted Flayed One Lord rather than just a two-wound support Lord, and three-wound combat Lord, etc...
    4. Upgrades for units: I suppose some kind of disruption field upgrade might help in close combat, but my absolute favorite idea was using Pariahs as sergeants. Problem is, that would be too much. An army wide Ldr 7 effect? Army wide Soulless effects on psykers? Ouch. In general, I don't like a Warrior sergeant with a power weapon upgrade, however.
    5. Addng units: sounds cool in the abstract, but what would they be? Might it not be best to make the available units more useful, instead? An army with Pariahs, Immortals, scarabs and Wraiths on board would sure look a lot less boring than Deceiver, Monolith, Monolith, Destroyers.

Fearless would be great, FNP too, gauss I'd keep the same but add Slow and Purposeful. New units. Give flayed ones rending with a boat load of attacks (necron gene stealers?).

I think GW will hit this one out of the park too. Not sure why but its a relatively simple army design but has a lot of potential to get awesome again.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Occuli Imperator

Well, I don't know about fearless. Mephiston isn't fearless and he has overcome the black rage/ red thirst. lol

seriously though, Im pretty confident that they will come stock with T4 3+ save, FNP and fearless... Though just for the sake of variation I would love to see them with T4 4+ save, FNP and fearless. I know all the arguments for a 3+ save, but some variation would be great. I.E. 3+, FNP, fearless = Blood Angels.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Well, I don't know about fearless. Mephiston isn't fearless and he has overcome the black rage/ red thirst. lol

seriously though, Im pretty confident that they will come stock with T4 3+ save, FNP and fearless... Though just for the sake of variation I would love to see them with T4 4+ save, FNP and fearless. I know all the arguments for a 3+ save, but some variation would be great. I.E. 3+, FNP, fearless = Blood Angels.

Duke
    Well lets be fair here, facing the horrors of the galaxy for a millenia and taking anger management aren't all the same thing! XD sorry, I had to.

I agree with Weawolf's points though, that would be really good.

Librarian

I'd like to see T5 4+ save warriors, break up the T4 3+ overload a bit... FNP, sure, but no rending on the weapons. Leave Gauss as it is now against squishy targets, but maybe give it rending against vehicles? Then again, most army's basic infantry weapon is useless against vehicles anyway... making Warriors tough as hell should be enough, without giving them anti-vehicle ranged powers.

SnP would be cool, too... especially if the Gauss stays Rapid.

- Maybe give Immortals alternate wargear options, it would be nic/e to be able to switch out the anti-infantry Gauss Blasters for an anti-tank Heavy Gauss blaster.

-Give Immortals a 2+ armor save, the 3+ doesn't really make it seem like the Immortals are really immortal.

- Change the Heavy Gauss Cannon into a Lance weapon, the fluff has a heavy destroyer's gun being able to punch through both sides of a Land Raider, that seems pretty much in line with a lance weapon to me.

-The Necron Lord's Chronometron could be changed to a device that speeds up the flow of time around the unit the Lord is attached to adding +1 initiative in CC

-Give Necron Warriors Slow and Purposeful, in my mind I see Necrons as a legion of slowly advancing killer robots. Slow and Purposeful would also help keep the 'crons firing a steady hale of Gauss fire. Or if they had a Lord leading them they would become Relentless.

-Offer different tiers of Necron Lord, have a Greater Necron Lord as an HQ choice with access to wargear and better stats and then offer a Lesser Necron Lord as an elites choice that can be used with other squads, like a SM chaplain.

-Remove C'tan as an HQ choice and perhaps offer a piece of wargear that allows the Necron Lord to be "possessed" by either the Nightbringer or Deceiver for a set number of turns. Think this:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg[/url]

- A Pariah squad could act in a similar capacity as a psychic hood, allowing a Necron force with low I to defend itself against psychic powers such as Jaws of the World Wolf, one change being that the number of Pariahs in a squad would act as a modifier to the standard hood test.

-Some kind of Flamer analogue like a Gauss Lightening Thrower for Necron Warriors

-Tomb Spyders generate some kind of repair bubble that gives every unit within 6" FNP instead of WBB

-Named Necron Characters other than the C'tan, Codex: Blood Angels references a Lord that was named The Silent King so it might be possible.

My wish list for a future Necron update has several things.

Army wide special rule for Necrons:
    Stubborn, Feel no Pain, Gauss.

Gauss can be fiddled with, making it only glance vehicles at a -1 on the vehicle damage table or turn it into rending. Whichever.

Flayed Ones get a streamline in rules. Terrifying visage is neat, but so inconsistent it does very little. If terrifying visage just gave their opponents -1 to their WS, it would be great.

Bump up the cost of Wraiths, and give them power weapons. They can fly through buildings, but a tin can on an Ork's head stops their claw...

Be very clear and concise with the Monolith's special rules.

If the C'tan are removed, oh well. They are not very well represented on the table top. If Lords are changed to be able to have an aspect of the C'tan that would be fine. Leave the actual C'tan for apocalypse.

Poor, poor Pariahs. They need so much. An extra attack, the ability to teleport (how the hell do they get to a battle that is not on a tomb world if they have to walk everywhere?).

Take a look at the tag line from Codex Necrons: Their number is legion, their name is death. The entire force could be changed to represent a more impressive legion. Decreasing the costs on average. GW could even reduce the average Necron save to a 4+. Giving the average Necron unit a 4+, followed by their 4+ We'll Be Back.

GW has already hinted at multiple levels of Necron Lords, and possibly named Lords with some expansions and campaigns. When we look at the new 'nid codex they brought back named characters. The next Necron codex will probably have a few in there.

In review: tl;dr, change stuff GW.

Chapter-Master

I believe GW will do a good job with Necrons.

The Necron army was my favorite late 2nd edition/early 3rd edition army to play, but since the codex, they have been a disappointment to me. I hope GW brings the flavor and love back into this otherwise bland and boring army.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast