BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh no, its a great series. If you are taking another week off and have time for more research I'd love to see a rotation on balancing worker placement mechanics. In your last set I was surprised you didn't delve into Shadows over Camelot since that has what I would consider the most "pure" betrayal mechanic that I have played. Given that on occasion every knight has to do things that negatively effect Camelot you can really stealth kill any endeavour as the traitor.

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I have a list of mechanics to do at some point and worker placement is definitely on there. I'm considering tackling randomness next, which is why I want a little more time because that's a doozy.

And yeah, I've played Shadows over Camelot a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It is definitely a fun game. I don't know all the intricacies of it super well and felt more comfortable discussing Battlestar Galactica in more detail.
    However, in the few games I've played I remember running into the same problem twice, which could just be coincidence. As a team, we had everything super well handled except for the catapults which were a little out of hand but not terrible. Then one player chose to add another catapult and EVERYONE flipped out on him. At that point, we all knew he was the traitor because that made no sense for an ally to do. But as the traitor, it was the best path he had towards victory.

Because Shadows doesn't have a super a lot of hidden information sometimes the betrayer can get stuck in a corner like that and either help all the heroes towards victory or just do a super lame obviously traitory move. Which, granted, can definitely happen in a lot of betrayer games. But again, fun game. Really liked it. And I fully admit I don't know it well enough to give it a fair shake.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SALLstice View Post
    Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I have a list of mechanics to do at some point and worker placement is definitely on there. I'm considering tackling randomness next, which is why I want a little more time because that's a doozy.

And yeah, I've played Shadows over Camelot a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It is definitely a fun game. I don't know all the intricacies of it super well and felt more comfortable discussing Battlestar Galactica in more detail.
    However, in the few games I've played I remember running into the same problem twice, which could just be coincidence. As a team, we had everything super well handled except for the catapults which were a little out of hand but not terrible. Then one player chose to add another catapult and EVERYONE flipped out on him. At that point, we all knew he was the traitor because that made no sense for an ally to do. But as the traitor, it was the best path he had towards victory.
    Interestingly that's my issue with BSG, if you become a Midgame traitor and the other traitor has already gone rogue (which happened in most of my games) you don't get to play the manipulation game because its almost pointless to not actively support traitor prime.

The one game we had where the second loyalty draw happened prior to a colon reveal the president and the admiral ended up being the Cylons and the game basically ended.

I'd love to see the BOLS crew play SoC or BSG though. Just so chat can try and deduce the traitor from the plays.

Veteran-Sergeant

Our schedule is pretty full up for the next few weeks but I actually really like the idea of doing a betrayer game and having chat vote on who they think it was.

But yeah, I guess that's just the nature of betrayer games sometimes. Which is kinda what I was trying to go for in the third piece of the betrayer series. Find a happy medium of getting to affect the game without needing to really make it so obvious. Personally, my ideal betrayer game, you'd go the whole game without having any clue who the betrayer was. I guess now that I'm saying it out loud, I realize I don't like the deduction component so much as I like the hidden roles component.

So Lords of Waterdeep is right in your wheelhouse. Worker placement with open and hidden objectives/rolls for each player.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah I definitely like Lords of Waterdeep. There are a lot of games I wanna play on stream but our game collection is sadly limited.

Quote Originally Posted by SALLstice View Post
    ...but our game collection is sadly limited.
    Have you seen how many games you guys have? Come to my house - I'll show you a limited game collection!
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Icendar View Post
    Have you seen how many games you guys have? Come to my house - I'll show you a limited game collection!
    lol I suppose I'm getting a little pampered over here. There's been a bunch of times we've discussed wanting to play a game we just don't have. A lot of our collection we have on set are just my games I brought in and Mary's brought in a bunch too.

No wonder we never get any answers in chat. Look how hard I derailed this thread.
    Hey GW. Thanks for my emperor forsaken blight haulers!!!
    3 for 75 is way better than i hoped

Quote Originally Posted by Navaren View Post
    No wonder we never get any answers in chat. Look how hard I derailed this thread.
    LOL, true... but both Matt and Adam said their piece about the game in the first few posts and Moogan Ra is now a thing (afaik, you say the 'au' like in 'trauma', but whatevs). So what if everyone gets a little sidetracked after all that?
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12