BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I make Blood Ravens?

My heart broke a bit today. I was painting my Dreadnaught and my son wanted to paint it red instead of Dark Angels Green. I asked why red, and he said, for Blood Ravens. I was puzzled. I asked where did you hear of Blood Ravens and he said from the Dawn of War game.

I bought it for him for Christmas and this is the first time he mentioned them. He said, "Daddy you have your army, and I will have my army. So my heart broke because all my SM are DA and knowing how expensive SM are, it's going to cost me more money now .

I guess he will be getting a Blackreach boxset for himself now.

So since I know nothing of Blood Ravens, how do I make them? I guess they use the SM codex, *cough cough*. Can I use another codex instead of SM? If not, I guess I will have to buy the SM codex then for him.

Also what is their unit compostion? Where can I go to get their paint scheme? How do their logos look?

Where can I go to learn up on them for my son? He is really interested in BR so I will learn about them so he can play them properly.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Adeptus Custodes

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens[/url]

They have a lot of librarians and are rumoured to be descended from the Thousand Sons...

I think any of the marine codexs would do- altough the blood angels are the new kids on the block, and have a librarian dreadnaught.
    More Necromunda please.

Battle-Brother

I play Blood Ravens, to be honest they are pretty codex marine centric aside from the Librarians.

At lot of this 'counts as' stuff is getting out of hand in my opinion. Blood Ravens are codex marines, not Blood Angels.

Brother-Captain

I run my Blood Ravens using the Space Wolves codex so that I can have 4 librarians in my list (very BR fluffy). There is no official codex for Blood Ravens, so just pick whichever you think is most fun. Your son could use the DA codex until he's progressed further in the game, or until you have the funds for a different codex, too. If you use DA without the special characters, it's pretty similar to any of the other marine codices.

Being that they are so librarian oriented, my suggestion to others who asked this is to try the blood angels 'dex. Since you can get a librarian dreadnought and all, it seems like it would work well.
    Commission painting & minis currently 4 sale: www.redstickstudio.weebly.com Our Studio Blog: www.redstickstudio.wordpress.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Honestly I'd run them as normal codex marines (because really, that's what they are) and use Varro Tigurius as the HQ (call him something else) to represent the Librarian focus.

Veteran-Sergeant

Blood Ravens are a Codex marine chapter- no genetic or dispositional aberrations besides the above-average number of librarians. Just run them as codex and be sure to use a librarian in your force.

If your son is interested in their color scheme- it's fairly easy to paint them Mechrite Red with Bleached bone shoulder pads and black trim.

Back in WD300 (I think), they did a battle report of Blood Ravens vs. Orks- might be good material to go back and look at if you have access to it. Otherwise, get yo'self on a computer and fire up Dawn of War!

Quote Originally Posted by Galadren View Post
    Honestly I'd run them as normal codex marines (because really, that's what they are) and use Varro Tigurius as the HQ (call him something else) to represent the Librarian focus.

Actually, they aren't codex marines, per say, as they aren't in a codex.

Truly they are whatever you want them to be, as regardless of the codex, they are still Blood Ravens. You could use a new 'dex to get access to the new equipment, or large numbers of librarians (ie. Blood Angels or Space Wolves), a librarian Dread from Blood Angels, or just run it out of the Ultraweenie 'dex, whichever will work out best for what you want to field in your army. Try basing your codex choice from that, as that will help you ultimately decide which will work out the best for you.
    Commission painting & minis currently 4 sale: www.redstickstudio.weebly.com Our Studio Blog: www.redstickstudio.wordpress.com

Thank you guys, greatly appreciated. I will let him play his computer game and see what he likes from them. If he wants his Dreadnaught to be a Libraian then I will get him the BA codex. If he wants 4 Librians in his army then I will buy him the SW codex.

I like the idea Lerra has suggested. We will stick with the DA codex for now, just playing house games for now, so all money can go into minis instead of a codex.

Thank you again.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chaplain

Everything you need to know about Blood Ravens:
    [url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens[/url]

As mentioned, Codex marines is probably the best fit for them, though non-specialized Dark Angels is pretty similar, so no worries.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast