BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Infantry screening for the screen challenged

OK, let me start with a picture, then onto the question...

In the above picture, what I'm trying to do is set the infantry so that the tanks behind them can't be charged. the troops have a little under 1" each other. (Ignore the LRs in the back for now, they'll have their own screen) Now the question for the rules lawyers out there: Can the tanks be charged? It almost seems that as long as my opponent can get a model between and 2 guardsmen then he can charge them, so do I need to have them even closer together?
    My tanks are always getting killed in HtH by "not cheesy" Blood Angel assault squads and I'm hoping he drops a veteran assault squad w/Dante right in front of them and find that he can't charge the tanks, charges (and wipes) the "screen", then gets plasma'd to death.
    If this doesn't work (by rules), then how many infantry does it take for a successful "screen"?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Technically yes, your opponent can penetrate that screen. Nothing in the rulebook says that the restriction on passing within 1" of enemy models is only lifted after the first model in the charging unit has made contact with the object of its charge.

However, note that the first model in the charging unit must be able to make contact with the object of its charge in the shortest possible straight line. Hence, if you have a 1" gap between infantry models, your opponent's closest model must be able to charge exactly in between the 1" gap, and the path that is exactly through the 1" gap must also be the shortest distance between your opponent's closest model and the closest model in the target unit, as the crow flies.

So while it is possible to charge between a 1" gap in an infantry screen, it requires very careful alignment. If the shortest path between the closest enemy model and the target tank deviates even a little bit to the left or right through the 1" gap, then the charge will fail. Of course, if you reduce the gap between screening models to less than 25mm, the screen will be impenetrable to assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    However, note that the first model in the charging unit must be able to make contact with the object of its charge in the shortest possible straight line.
    There is nothing in the Assault rules requiring that a model move along a line. The rules refer to the shortest path. So, the first model is free to to maneuver in order to make it into base contact, provided that this is the shortest route to base contact with it.

Still, as Nabterayl says, a gap of less than 1 inch will prevent any model from moving between the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    There is nothing in the Assault rules requiring that a model move along a line. The rules refer to the shortest path. So, the first model is free to to maneuver in order to make it into base contact, provided that this is the shortest route to base contact with it.
    Oooh, good catch. Culven is quite correct - the important difference being that the "shortest path" is permitted to bend around impassable obstacles, such as impassable terrain or other models, so what I said about straight lines is all just wrong.

Chapter-Master

eh, you just oversimplified it, that's all.

In most cases, a straight line is the shortest path. You could almost treat impassable terrain like a medium change, and apply Snell's Law. You would, in a sense, be still traveling in a straight line--- at least the shortest path!

Chapter-Master

By the way--- Veteran Squads cannot charge after deep strike if there is an Independent Character attached to the squad.

There is a lot of risk involved in trying to land on top of your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    By the way--- Veteran Squads cannot charge after deep strike if there is an Independent Character attached to the squad.

There is a lot of risk involved in trying to land on top of your opponent.
    Really? Whoops. I think I made the mistake first (attaching Shrike to one), then he's been attaching Dante ever since.
    Now to report myself to the campaign organizer (being something nobody else does)
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chapter-Master

The only real way to guarantee that the opponent cannot charge is to move your screening models close together, so there isn't enough room between them for the charging models to physically move through the screening unit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Also, once a unit is shot, they don't need to worry about regrouping for coherency until their next turn's Move phase, right? So they could easily be shot with an assault weapon (one melta gun or pistol from a BA Sargent would do it), then charged through the gap. Of course, since you choose which models are removed, this is lessened, but still something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by artemi View Post
    Also, once a unit is shot, they don't need to worry about regrouping for coherency until their next turn's Move phase, right? So they could easily be shot with an assault weapon (one melta gun or pistol from a BA Sargent would do it), then charged through the gap. Of course, since you choose which models are removed, this is lessened, but still something to keep in mind.
    That's true, but it would take two units - one to shoot a hole in the screen and another to charge the tanks behind. Remember that a single unit cannot shoot one target and then charge another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast