BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So my "hive fleet" colors are officially yellow orange and red. Black for the claws/eyes. I also picked up a nice orange-red wash to tint the skin of my hybrids.

First 1000 points will consist of the Cult Insurrection box, a purestrain brood, and a Cult Leman Russ.
    Hey GW. Thanks for my emperor forsaken blight haulers!!!
    3 for 75 is way better than i hoped

Default Purestrain Test Paint One

Alright Genestealer Penal Cult Build Diary Entry 1: 12/27/17

So today I roughed out one of my Purestrain Genestealers to test what my proposed paint job of yellow hands, orange limbs and red carapace armor with black blades would look like. Below are a few images with brief commentary. Overall I'm not sure that the color scheme works as well as I wanted it too. I really like the way the yellows look with a red wash. The blood, it never washes off. At the moment I think that I might give this guy a nice cleansing bath and start over but I'm not sure what change to make.

Option A: Drop the Deep Red from the color scheme. Full yellow limbs with black talons and claws. Orange carapace armor.
    Option B: Drop the Orange. Full Yellow limbs with black talons and claws. Deep Red Carapace armor.
    Option C: Keep most of the color scheme but change directions. Orange limbs, Yellow Carapace armor, Deep Red claws, talons, and eyes. (I'm leaning towards this because what feels the most muddled to me is the Red directly against the orange on the larger surfaces.)

[url=https://imgur.com/a/KVXHf] [/url]
    The Front View. This is the image that makes me not very happy with the paint scheme. The orange and red blend too closely together when viewed from the front and it feels muddy to me.

On the other hand... I REALLY like how this paint job looks from the side. Even though this is only roughed in and the details aren't complete you can see what I was going for.

Same as above. From the side the colors absolutely work together.

And here I feel the same way I do with the Front View. Whenever there is any kind of shadow the paint job is muddled.

Opinions? Color suggestions? Alternate solutions?

It's not one of your options there, but have you considered dropping or scaling back the yellow?

If you did a deeper of darker red for the carapace, then red to orange on the flesh, that'd look pretty good. Keep the black for claws and hooves and yellow for the eyes.

If you were to pattern the carapace a deep burgundy and highlight it up to a brighter red, that would give a bit more definition between the red flesh and red chitin.

EDIT: Just another thought while I'm at it - maybe not even a black-black for the claws and whatnot but have a dark red to very-dark red blend? Just to take some of the black-as-midnight out of the black a bit.
    Last edited by Icendar; 12-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

[URL="https://imgur.com/a/sURVH"]The Second Chorus of Heavenly Cousins[/URL]

Alright Round 2 for my purestrains. This is obviously missing some highlighting. I'm thinking I might do the crevices using a wash with vallejo yellow ink (if its at the FLHS) tomorrow.

On the whole, I am much happier with this look. It was faster to achieve and it feels cleaner and more poisonous froggy

Quote Originally Posted by Navaren View Post
    It was faster to achieve and it feels cleaner and more poisonous froggy
    Looking good - and they really do look poisonous froggy. Big thumbs up for fast as well.

I also like your sunset-through-the-blinds noir photos
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

Yeah, I think my phone camera is slowly dying. Plan is to bang out the whole squad of 8 from sprue to wash tomorrow. Might also try and post a basic 1250 point list just to see what I have and what I need.

Veteran-Sergeant

It might be the photo's, but I think deeper shadows would really help the model by providing more contrast and bringing the bright colors out

So a combination of a painter's fugue and my two week trip to California has left me behind where I wanted to be with this army. To get me back on track I present the following series of photos of [URL="https://imgur.com/a/yyuxw"]Embarrassing Grey Plastic[/URL].

So as it stands the Army consists of

HQ
    1x Broodlord
    1x Magus
    1x Primus

Elite
    8x Purestrains

Troops
    12x Neophytes (guardsmen)
    12x Neophytes (miners)
    10x Neophytes (shotguns)
    5x Acolytes (ALL THE THINGS)

Dedicated Transport
    Goliath Truck (The battle pickup) The Shotgunners ride.

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battle Tank

Goliath Rockgrinder (The battle box) The Acolytes pimpmobile

Expansion plans for this army aren't very expansive.

Confirmed Next Steps:
    2x Sentinels
    1x Acolyte Iconward
    1x Start Collecting Astra Millitarum (That Commissar will become a Primus in a Hat thanks to a dremel and the cult upgrade sprue )
    1x Genestealers

Hypothetical Finishing Touches:
    1x Goliath Rockgrinder
    1x Hybrid Acolytes/Metamorphs
    1x Baneblade Superheavy Tank (If I decide to treat myself to a big tank for my birthday)

Basecoat Blocked in for Rockgrinder.

In person there is a faint metallic sheen to the yellow paint. Looks like a Tonka Truck. I am exceedingly happy with this experiment so far. Also the truck tires are Vallejo Extra Opaque "Heavy Charcoal" it is amazing how rubbery they look. I'm probably only gonna need to hit them with a very light grey drybrush to sun age them and then make them gritty with my industrial mud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12