BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Why don't you go to large tourneys?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cant afford it

18 29.51%
  • Don't have the time

15 24.59%
  • Don't want to play "at that level"

16 26.23%
  • Wife/siginifact other/ parents won't let me

3 4.92%
  • I would if I knew about them far enough in advance

8 13.11%
  • Other

21 34.43%
  • Too far away/ not one close enough

18 29.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

@EG: wow, I think a few of those weren't on the list... Good thing for the "other catagory."

I do know that girls do have a different view (and are viewed differently) in this hobby. I went to a tourney recently where the guy who won had a girl with him and as i was leaving I overheard Simone say "I would have beaten him, but the girl was distracting... She shouldn't have been allowed to be at the table." It was both pathetic and hillarious at the same time. So, long story short... If it is as bad as you say. That sucks.

Other than that what if a convention offered somthing like a non-competitive-story-driven campaign where you could still win prizes and it was running the whole weekend. Would that enhance or detract from your possibility of going and if so. By how much?
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    "I would have beaten him, but the girl was distracting... She shouldn't have been allowed to be at the table."
    I weep for humanity.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLL View Post
    I weep for humanity.
    Don't weep for humanity for that. Perhaps weep for just the one small socially unadept subculture...

Battle-Brother

For me its a bit of can't afford it and a bit of the over competetive argument.

The first tournament i played was the 40k doubles at Warhammer World in January. It was a great weekend and i met some great gamers and played in well 4 out of 6 good games. Even at that 'friendly' tournament we encountered some questionable opponents though. Rolling or a turn 6 with 4 minutes let on the clock (turned a win for us into a win for them) and an ork boys/ dark eldar raider spam list that was painted 5 minutes before the tournament were low points. Playing a marine army that had lost every game and feeling kinda bad for beating them but having a right old laugh with the guys playing it and seeing our other friends team play a daemons army and watching 10 guardsmen rapidfire/first rank fire a daemon prince to death in 1 round of shooting were highlights. On the financial front, that was £50 to enter (i have family in Nottingham so no need for hotels) which when you have 2 kids to feed and clothe and a space marine army that needs more sternguard its hard to justify. That said i have just got a job after 6 months out so i am definatly going to next years doubles and hopefully going to have a crack at the throne of skulls.

Overall it is expensive to attend but also its a once or twice a year thing so i can live with that. As for the asshats, i fully expect to meet a few but its kinda that way in life whatever you do. Walk down a busy street and i guess 1 in every 200 will be doing something that you find questionable. That said i am a 16 stone guy, i don't have to put up with the sort of crap Eldargal and other women/girls do at tourneys. mind, if the guy across the table is distracted by my boobies, he may well need one of those nice jackets with sleeves that strap up at the back!

I'm a huge fan of big tournys! If anything the process of getting your army ready and getting all psyched up is one of the best parts of it all. I guess cost of travel and stuff keeps me away from more so I can only do a couple a year but fortunately being in the north east I have about 4 GT"s to choose from each year. Planning on hitting "DaBoyz GT" in Rochester NY in Nov and maybe the Conflict GT in Jan or Dec, when ever it is. Mechanicon sounds sweet but just don't think I have the money to hit that and Da Boyz since they are about a week apart. I'd love to go to Adepticon but fear I'd end up blowing a bunch of money to go alone and I find these things to be way more fun to attend when you have friends along with you.

I will say I've had a pretty good experience at all of them I've been too and had the pleasure of being stomped by to ETC players (one from US and one from UK) in a row at the Boston Brawl. If not even for the competitive aspect, these events are just a great way to meet new people, see new armies and take a fun road trip with friends. Totally recommend people give them a try regardless of how competitively they play.
    letsagetabitarockin!

My reason is 'other':

I hate 'those' players that always come out in droves for the large tournaments.

Now, I'm not talking about people who are merely geeky or strange. No, it's the whiny, screaming toddlers in the bodies of full grown men that argue every last rule, constantly accuse you of cheating (ironically, you have to watch them like hawks to keep them from cheating), and throw full blown temper tantrums every time a game doesn't go their way.

Unfortunately, I have 3 of these players in my area and despite doing my best to avoid them, you can be certain that all three will go to each of the big tournaments, even if they have to drive several hours to get there, and more likely than not, there will be a half dozen more players there just like them that I've never met before.

It's almost enough to make a guy switch to Magic the Gathering.

Veteran-Sergeant

Other, straight out.

I've tried three small local events, two large ones. Out of all of these, I had two enjoyable games with strangers. And granted, one of those players I now consider a friend and love it when I bump into him.

But the others...?

There was the thirteen year old whose Daemonhunters list had three HQs and an Imperial Guard "squad" in it, and another kid who would wander away from the table whenever it wasn't his turn. The man-child who said absolutely nothing to me the entire time except his dice results, which was still better than the other one who only told me his dice results and all the things that were "wrong" with my army. Or the guy who threw a tantrum because he'd been deliberatley "misinterpreting" the Necron rules in all his previous games and I called him on it. Which, again, was better than the guy who took any statement I made as a rules challenge that needed to be cleared with the judges.

Why on Earth would I keep paying money to play people like that? Screw that. I've got six other players in my own gaming club, and even my girlfriend's learning how to play.
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

Occuli Imperator

It sounds like some of the "other issue" could be solved by good tournament organizers penalizing "jerk" players... The only part that is hard is getting the opponents to report a bad opponent.

Also: I am starting a sister thread ti this one with another poll... Please post on that one as well. Thank you

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    It sounds like some of the "other issue" could be solved by good tournament organizers penalizing "jerk" players... The only part that is hard is getting the opponents to report a bad opponent.

Also: I am starting a sister thread ti this one with another poll... Please post on that one as well. Thank you

Duke
    Yeah, that would be nice--but you'd have to have a) enough TO's who are b) ballsy enough to actually make the call, and c) stick to their guns and realize those people aren't returning next year.

That's a lot to ask of people who probably haven't gone through any actual confrontation skills training.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Yeah, that would be nice--but you'd have to have a) enough TO's who are b) ballsy enough to actually make the call, and c) stick to their guns and realize those people aren't returning next year.

That's a lot to ask of people who probably haven't gone through any actual confrontation skills training.
    True, Or just make sure you have multiple TO's that are ex military officers and NCO's, they love confrontation!

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast