BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scout

Question Devastator Teams

Hey fellow BolS'ers!

So a little thing to throw out here for everyone - If you take Devastator Teams in your armies, how do you run them and why? Does your loadout change depending on the points of the games? And if you don't take them, why not, and what do you use instead?

I myself usually run just a five-man team, with 3 ML's and a PC in my 1850 list. I know they're fragile without the ablative wounds of extra troopers, but I just can't justify spending extra points on boltguns that will likely only get one or two shots off, ever. I'm a big fan of the versatility of the missiles, too. Being able to pick between a hard shot or a blast is always great, and a PC? Well they're just fun, melty goodness.

Brother-Sergeant

I generally like to run a 10 man squad with 2 missile launchers and 2 lascannons combat teamed. I run one of each heavy weapon in each squad and have a good armor defense. I find that for the points the ML/LC combo works better and gives greater versatility while saving a grip of points. I sometimes take 2 tac squads and leave another 2 lasconnons behind giving my army a solid fire base, this is a gamble because having 2 5 man forward tactical squads isn't always enough punch.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Evil Midnight Bomber

I haven't run a proper dev squad in a while, but when I did, I tried several combos with mixed results.

First one was 2 PC/2HB. This combo was hell on hordes when they were packed in right (large ork squad flambe, anyone?).

Another one was a simple 2 LC/5 man squad. Anti-tank, obviously, and it was pretty good at it...but overall I never felt like it was a strong performer.

Last combo that actually worked pretty well most of the time was a 4 ML squad. Against light/medium armor it worked wonders, you were pretty much guaranteed at least one or two hits. Against hordes firing frags it was...decent, usually.
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

hey guys
    I find it works when i take 1 LC, 2 HB, and either a PC or ML depending on the army that's my standard Heavy choice no matter the points limit

I find that they look really nice sitting on a display shelf... And that's about all.

A Predator or Vindicator is going to be a better buy every time. Mobile firepower is nice, and Dawn of War really, really killed static Heavy Support choices.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post
    I find that they look really nice sitting on a display shelf... And that's about all.

A Predator or Vindicator is going to be a better buy every time. Mobile firepower is nice, and Dawn of War really, really killed static Heavy Support choices.
    This

I have mine currently kitted out with one LC, one HB, one ML, and one PC.

While I doubt that this is effective, I am considering 2HBs, and 2 LCs, or 2 HBs, and 2 MLs.

I am not a big fan of plasma but it does work. Since most of my opponents are either Orks, Tyranids, or IG, I want that massed firepower. I also run three tac squads, but they are kitted out with the meltas and the multi-meltas.

I also run a unit of Sternguard with nothing but Storm Bolters but I am looking to make one, possibly two into HBs.....

Also, please note, while mech is the current king, none of my opponents are mechanized. They are all foot sloggers. LOL. So, no real reason to take anti-tank other than for the occasional heavily armed behemoth.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post

What? Wait a second....

I take Havocs with quadruple Lascannons. I have also taken Predators as well.

In the first turn of Dawn of War, both units have to move to get into position, and that means move 12" with the tank and fire nothing, or move 6"+d6" with the Havocs and fire nothing. At best, you can move 6" with the tank, and fire one Lascannon, and in Dawn of War, you are most likely not going ot see anything because of night fighting.

So I fail to see how losing ONE lascannon shot in a turn with night fighting breaks Havoks into non usability? I always just run my Havoks into terrain turn 1 anyway, so by turn two, I got my four lascannons firing away as normal.

I respect your opinion, but a vehicle is not better every time. Personally, I avoid the Predator because that thing never moves the entire game anyway.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Brother-Sergeant

4 ML's are cheap and cheerful as are 4 HB's or 4 LC's or 4 PC's!

I like to take pure one weapon Devs for the cool factor

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    What? Wait a second....

I take Havocs with quadruple Lascannons. I have also taken Predators as well.

In the first turn of Dawn of War, both units have to move to get into position, and that means move 12" with the tank and fire nothing, or move 6"+d6" with the Havocs and fire nothing. At best, you can move 6" with the tank, and fire one Lascannon, and in Dawn of War, you are most likely not going ot see anything because of night fighting.

So I fail to see how losing ONE lascannon shot in a turn with night fighting breaks Havoks into non usability? I always just run my Havoks into terrain turn 1 anyway, so by turn two, I got my four lascannons firing away as normal.

I respect your opinion, but a vehicle is not better every time. Personally, I avoid the Predator because that thing never moves the entire game anyway.
    I’m going have to agree with Buffo here. In fact I have found my dev squads are generally for more effective than a predator. Even a 5 man squad can be hard to crack, put them in cover (blessed cover even better with 3+ cover saves) I have played so many games where I relied on a las'd out predator only to see that thing smoking before it has a chance to do any damage.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast