BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Actually, the SW FAQ says that you have to pay for the FIRST special weapon.

It doesn't say that the first special weapon can't be a free flamer!

As self-serving as it may be, I have to agree with Blackarmchair's reading of the FAQ. It says "take the first special weapon at normal points cost in order to take the second one free".

To me that says if I take a flamer at the normal cost of (0) then I can take a second special weapon free. Similarly if I take a melta and a plasma gun, I could pay (5) for the melta and get the plasma free. It doesn't say the first one has to be your most expensive one, nor does it say you have to take the exact same weapon twice. As long as you pay for the first one, whatever it may be, the second one is bonus, whatever it may be.

Default Wolf Guard

Also, do any of you other Wolf Lords run Wolf Guard termies, and if so do you mix their armaments up or try to keep them uniform? I'm finding interesting ways of combining armaments to get to multiples of 5 for the unit's point cost.

Like 3 Power Weapons + 2 power fists = 185. Sprinkle with combi-bolters and heavy weapons to taste.
    or
    2 Power Weapons + 2 Fists + TH/SS = 215.

Initially the 63 points for a TH/SS termy gave me sticker shock about ever fielding them as a full unit, but leading a squad of otherwise shooty termies is more reasonable...

Veteran-Sergeant

@ Blackarmchair and lowdog, wel it depends how you look at is of course. You have to pay the points for the first special weapon, but the flamer doesn't cost any points, as in it says "free" not "0pts". but i get your point and go for that as well :P. But then again i field my GH unit with 1 special and a WG with combi-weapon, i like to have Ld 9 (for counter attack) and least 2 attacks with his power fist. A Grey Hunter with power fist is pointless, it costs more than a wg wtih power fist and has only 1 attack and 1 less leadership!

As for Wolf Guard, i field a unit of 4 in terminator armour with 2x power weapon&storm bolter, power fist&cyclone missile lacuncher and TH/SS in a droppod joint by a Rune Priest with terminator armour, and for me it works pretty well .

Veteran-Sergeant

I generally run all my termies in a variety mix and match.
    1 with heavy flamer and Powerfist
    1 with Thunderhammer and SS
    1 with Auto Cannon and Chainfist
    1 with power sword and stormbolter
    1 with dual wolf claws

I generally either throw Logan Grimmnar in the mix
    or Njal the Stormcaller

With Logan you can smash face in CC and still do damage from a short range
    with Njal you sit back and throw magic and people and when they come after him you have some badass proctection.

Veteran-Sergeant

Njal and Logan in the same army is kind of expensive. Logan might be an option if you're going to take WG, but if it comes to Njal, the only reason i would take him is for hes 4++ save, his extra ability is fun but unpredictable, and if he just stands in the back he can only cast 1 shooting power, and you wouldn't make use of his special ability! I rather take 2 Rune priests, that is cheaper and more effective.

Default my favs :)

i like the army list its well different to mine not that thats a bad thing lol,

just my opinion but my favourite (and essential) units are
    - lone wolf w/ mark of the wulfen 35pts (has successfully sat through 30 orks with shootas all firing at him, unharmed absolutly hilarious and probably more luck than anything)
    - venerable dreadnought w/ extra armour and heavy flamer 190pts (general awesomeness, just wonders in one side and out the other!!!)
    - fenrisian wolves and a character with saga of the wolfkin (I5 S4 WS4 8pts each best bargain ever, with 8 i trampled my friends tzeentch marines including sorcerer and only lost 1 wolf)
    - ( i havent actually got round to trying this one but it sounds hilarious) iron priest w/ thunderwolf, and 4 cyberwolves, (basically lots of T5 and 3A per cyberwolf and lots of S9 powerfistage!!!)

i use my wolf guard termies to lead my squads, one with assualt cannon and one with cyclone rocket launcher leading each of my grey hunter squads

Quote Originally Posted by The wolf's claw View Post
    i use my wolf guard termies to lead my squads, one with assualt cannon and one with cyclone rocket launcher leading each of my grey hunter squads
    But then you can't embark your squads in a rhino or a razorback, not to mention needing the points for 4 other WG for every WG heavy weapon termy. Granted I already have two footslogging squads...

Initiate

I like the list...nice bit of flexability but where's your available second HQ choice?...we do get two for one...

I would drop one of the GH packs and add say a WP on bike with 5 FW...there's a nice even swap at 175 and is fun to watch on the field...LOL

then to get to 1750...throw back in the Hunter pack, get the extra trans for the foot sloggers and add meltabombs to your WP...

the next add to get to say 2k...I would include some WGT...or buck up yer longfangs to a full 6 man squad and throw in scouts...just depends on yer style of play...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast