BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1500 Space Wolves

I'm starting up a Space Wolves force, and this is the basic 1500 point core I am thinking of buying (off of which I will expand). I will primarily be playing non-tourney games against 'Nids, Orks, Guard, and Black Templars.

Rune Priest - 115 Chooser of the Slain; Living Lightning, 5+ Ward Power (can't remember the name)

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist; Rhino/Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist; Rhino/Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 175 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist

10 Grey Hunters - 175 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist

Dreadnought - 150 Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer; Drop Pod

Dreadnought - 150 Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer; Drop Pod

Vindicator - 115

5 Long Fangs - 115 4 Missile Launchers

Whirlwind - 85

Total - 1500

I am currently planning to also get a basic Predator with autocannon turret and side heavy bolters that could swap out for the Whirlwind.

Brother-Sergeant

A lot of power fists in there planning to come up against some armour?or just want to smoosh infantry in close combat? I like the list though I gota say try taking it up a notch and write a 1750 list..

Yeah I just wanted one CC weapon in the squads that ignores armor, and figured the extra strength couldn't hurt. My nid friend runs several warrior squads and monstrous creatures that the fists can instakill/hurt, and the guard players have lots of tanks. I figure the fists give the squads two options for can opening as well as boosting their assault prowess.

At 1750 I know I want to add in a squad of Wolf Scouts and then probably some landspeeders and/or fenrisian wolves.

Not bad. It really isn't worth it to take those 2 foot slogging GH Packs. This is 5th ed you can't afford to have anything on foot like that.

Take those 350pts and get something to use as a hammer unit (as you are missing one) given the points I'd recommend Thunderwolves.

Otherwise it's a nice list with a lot of troops!

How do you generally load out your Thunderwolves?

I usually run Thunderwolves in units of 3, with 1 model having Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and 1 model with Meltabombs. at 215 points most lists can afford to include 2 of these units, and they are very effective.

You list has too many points in Troops, IMO. I would replace 2 Grey Hunter packs with some Thunderwolves (as above), or a pair of tooled-out TW Lords in a unit of Fenrisian Wolves. This will give you some fast and very hard-hitting CC units.

I run mine very similarly. I like to give mine Storm Shields, that 3++ helps a lot agiainst the type of units your opponent is likely to throw at them.

I usually run mine in units of 3-4 and I typically give one hammer or wolf claw and about 2 storm shields.

If you have the points upgrade one to a mounted wolf lord or canis (if you like him).

Veteran-Sergeant

Your Grey Hunters are 5pts to cheap, you have to pay the points for the meltagun even if you take the free flamer! Check the SW FaQ.

Good call wolflold on the points! I missed it!

I agree with the others - the Grey Hunters need transport of some kind. I also like putting the Long Fangs into a Razorback - gives me an extra heavy weapon and a way to move the LFs if they get into trouble!

I DO recommend getting the 4 Grey Hunter Squads (the models - they don't all have to be on the list right away) at the same time just because you may want them in larger games and it's easier to match the paint schemes if you paint them all at the same time. They just look better on the table that way.

I don't neccessarily agree with dropping BOTH non-transported GH squads from the list. I like 3 units for capturing objectives in a 1500 point game. But it is a personal choice. Many people run with 2 core and are happy with them. Of course - if you want the Thunder Wolves - you'll need to juggle the list and may need to drop both.

I like the mixed weapons in your GH squads. You can deal with both Hoards and Tanks. Never a bad thing if you can make it work. Some people prefer to take 2 Meltas instead of 1 in a 10 man squad to get the second Melta free. Gives you 2 chances to miss your roll against tanks! Unfortunately, that will make the squad less able to deal with Hoards. You can experiment by swapping special weapons: 2 squads with 2 Meltas and 2 squads with 2 flamers. If you like it - no need to get more models and you save 10 points on your 4 - Grey Hunter Squad list! If you don't - swap back to 1 of each!

Warning about Drop Pods: If you use them, you should use at least 2 pods to drop on 1st turn. That means at least 3 pods minimum (1/2 pods, rounding up). A single pod and its contents will be punished and probably won't survive into the 2nd turn. Maybe drop one squad with one Dreadnought 1st turn and they can support each other until the rest come down. If you want to do a Suicide Dread or Squad, that's fine, too. I just find they don't usually accomplish a lot. Remember - can't charge into CC the turn the pod drops.

Anyway - Good Luck with your Wolf Company!

Quote Originally Posted by Chexmix282 View Post
    I usually run Thunderwolves in units of 3, with 1 model having Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and 1 model with Meltabombs. at 215 points most lists can afford to include 2 of these units, and they are very effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackarmchair View Post
    I run mine very similarly. I like to give mine Storm Shields, that 3++ helps a lot agiainst the type of units your opponent is likely to throw at them.

I usually run mine in units of 3-4 and I typically give one hammer or wolf claw and about 2 storm shields.
    Sorry to Double Post - what are you guys using for your Thunderwolves? I haven't found anything I really like yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast