BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype- View Post
    Well, I've done a bit of research on the Press Ganger details. In all honesty, it sounds like something worth pursuing.
    It really is. I know what I'm saying - I am a PG

Quote Originally Posted by FastEd View Post
    I suspect this has more to do with the group at your local FLGS, not the game. If they are hanging on to the old "Page 5" attitude, have them read the new one, it has an important change. Alternatively, you could just start playing on the regular WM/H day with your buddies and see if their attitudes change. Either way, I hope they grow out of it, the old attitude was never meant to be taken as far as it was, and really just hurts the game.
    Heya FastEd - you are bang-on correct - the group has the Page 5 attitude - that is why I don't play there. I enjoy playing the game - I just play with a more relaxed and mature group of people.

And you can find the Page 5 crew playing GW products as well - so it has nothing to do with the game system. I was simply trying to illustrate that people should try the game for themselves, with a group that they normally play with, and to remember that douchebags are douchebags, regardless of where you encounter them.

I apologize for posting so long after the last reply, but I have an awesome update. I spoke with the gaming club's president and treasurer a couple of nights ago and told them of my plans to build a house Warmachine army for club and provide them a rulebook as well. They were very pleased with the idea and the treasurer said that if I can provided an itemized receipt, then my purchases for the house army will be reimbursed!

Unfortunately, both times I went down to the store this week the Prime Mk II rules were not in stock. The staff said it should be back in stock soon, so I'll be down there periodically. In the meantime, I purchased the Cygnar battlebox to build and paint (in addition to the Khadorans I already have), so at least they'll have the army and the Quick Play rules.

I'll be certain to keep you all updated with all the action and reactions!

-Archetype

First-Captain

Thanks for the update--and that sounds awesome!

G'luck in spreading the WM love.

One thing that I realized is that WM/H tends to attract a lot of competitive players, but that does not mean that the game cannot be enjoyed by a relaxed player, by any means! The tactics involved in the game lend itself very well to being a[n actual] tournament game, but I've found that bringing my laid-back beer and pretzels approach from 40k into WM/H means that I have even MORE fun! I've determined that I will never pay money to actually participate in a WM/H tournament, because I like just relaxing and having fun with my lists, but when people accuse the game of being too competitive, I defend it and say that it's the players that make the game competitive, not the designers (example: 40k and WFB).

That said, I think we all need to do our part in reminding new players to the game that it's all about having fun, watching some massive machines and beasts smash each other around. I got my butt handed to me yesterday by some winter guard but it was a really fun game because when two warpwolves failed to kill a kodiak, we just laughed it off and I proceeded to see just how silly I could get. It's all about having fun, people!

*gets off soapbox*

First-Captain

Truer words were ne'er spoken, whitestar333.

The game is first and foremost about having fun--which is why you shouldn't be put out about losing the occasional (or even a lot of) games.

To get the "fun" idea across to new people, I often describe WM/H as a steampunk fantasy miniatures game that has elements of Battletech (warjacks) and WWE-esque action potential.

It generally sets the hooks in enough to get them to try a demo, at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12