BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navaren's second army... (Help I'm addicted... and indecisive)

So I just took an inventory of my Death Guard Army and all told I have just under 5000 points of slimy plaguey dudesmen with maybe another 1000 points of planned purchases to dole out over the next 5 to 6 months. (Termies, haulers, and rhinos oh my)

This means its time to start a new project and I'd like to ask the beehive mind for some help deciding which direction to go.

I'm more than a little in lust with the Goliath Rockgrinder model and cult ambush shenanigans seem amusing to me so I'm leaning towards GSC with the idea of capping out around 2000 to 2250 points for that force. It also seems like a good opportunity if I can get my hands on the Xmas battlefield.

The con of GSC is of course that I remember painting 70 Poxwalkers all too recently and the idea of painting 30 to 50 hunched over purple men makes my hand tingle.

My other option (that feeds my need to paint gross stuff) is to just go straight Tyranids. Its totally different than power armor and daemon engines so that's appealing. The con of course is deciding what KIND of nids to run (and potentially painting 30 to 50 hunched over dinobugs.)

So I leave it to you fine folks of the belfry. Within the constraint of 2000 points or so which army is going to give me the most bang for my modeling buck and if the answer is nids what kind if Tyranid army should I look towards.
    Hey GW. Thanks for my emperor forsaken blight haulers!!!
    3 for 75 is way better than i hoped

As the Chaos Lord of Indecisiveness, I'll weigh in here.

Have you thought about necrons? You can make a alright-ish horde out of warriors, there's plenty of ways to expand the army and at least they are easier to slap a decent looking paint job on than bugs.

I've heard not-great things about straight GSC. I like the models too, but if you're looking to be competitive rather than characterful, I'd probably give them a miss. Combined GSC and Guard seems to have a few more fans, and then you've got a base to expand either way into a bigger IG army or bugs down the road.

If I was doing bugs, I'd probably pick Kraken or Gorgon. Trygons, stealers, ravenors, hormagaunts, carnifexes. Things like that.
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

Hmmmm. You know I just realised that it pretty much HAS to be GSC. A pair of GSC upgrade sprues and a Goliath Gang box and I have neophyte hybrid Gangers... Oooh.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Navaren View Post
    Hmmmm. You know I just realised that it pretty much HAS to be GSC. A pair of GSC upgrade sprues and a Goliath Gang box and I have neophyte hybrid Gangers... Oooh.
    goliaths are more like aberrants in size and power than acolytes, but it would look cool! (aberrants are awful currently, sadly)
    the deathwatch game is a good way to get all the neophytes you need and all the non-special weapon acolytes, plus the 3 leaders
    Goliaths are great looking. I prefer rock grinders. I make my genestealers ride in the back and throw dynamite at people

Yeah deathwatch is my second choice for Army Starter if I can't get the Genestealer incursion Xmas battleforce

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah deathwatch is my second choice for Army Starter if I can't get the Genestealer incursion Xmas battleforce
    do you have a paint scheme in mind for your cult? I can't decide on mine

My current concept is Hive World PDF Penal Company. So the acolytes primus magus etc will be painted in the blacks reds and greys of the Ministorium and Munitorium, and my neophytes will be a mix of gangers and pdf troopers (NM dudes and Cadians) probably in navy or greyblue uniforms. For the patriarch, pruestrainsm, metamorphs etc their flesh tones will be a still to be selected hive fleet colors that pairs well with my uniform colors just so I can identify them as worshiping a specific fleet.

Fly Lord

I'm liking the concept of a GSC army that mixes and mashes Necromunda gangers.

Such opportunities for hybrid conversions. I'm waiting to see exactly what the aesthetic will be for the House Van Saar, "still-suits". They might might be quite similar to the existing GSC Hybrid miner outfits...

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

ohh that's a good point. Van Saar is rocking that Spice Miner vibe

My current concept is Hive World PDF Penal Company. So the acolytes primus magus etc will be painted in the blacks reds and greys of the Ministorium and Munitorium, and my neophytes will be a mix of gangers and pdf troopers (NM dudes and Cadians) probably in navy or greyblue uniforms. For the patriarch, pruestrainsm, metamorphs etc their flesh tones will be a still to be selected hive fleet colors that pairs well with my uniform colors just so I can identify them as worshiping a specific fleet.
    Sounds great. Mixing in gangers would have to be a no-brainer, whether you convert them up or not. And it's not like the current gen of hybrid models are lacking in character, too.

I can't wait to see what they do with Delaque, myself... even though that'll be a bit of a wait. The old ones were practically stealer hybrids out of the box
    Last edited by Icendar; 11-29-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    I didn't go to the LVO but I'm still a reasonably OK-ish person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast