BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Space Hulk!

Bad me at gaming store today: "Space Hulk-a-Mania is running Wild! Oh YAH Brother!" All in that "Hulk Hogan" voice. Kinda glad I wasn't shot at.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Veteran-Sergeant

Unfortunatley my friend this is limited edition, 75000 copies are available world wide and 2000 of them sold by 2PM on the day after the release in the UK alone (figures come from a GW manager I spoke to) so I wouldn't hope that another will be released and then be dissapointed, if you want it I suggest getting it now!
    Ummmmm... yeah. We all know they keep saying it's a limited run. Many thanks for clarifying...

Let's just run the numbers, though. Which was the point I was making.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the molds for the Land Raider sprues cost just over one million dollars to manufacture. It's been about ten years, and this looks like more spures, but let's say that price holds.

About 8,500 units sold will just cover the cost of the molds. Nothing else. Let's double that amount to cover sculptors, printing, and the general work in revisiting the rules one way or another.

Which means, out of that limited run, more than 20% of it is GW just breaking even. Assuming prices are the same as they were ten years ago. If we wanted to be pessimistic, I could probably knock it up to 25% and no one could really say I'm being outrageous. Not bad, but also not the greatest profit margin on earth.

So,with that in mind, why would they stop making them? It's like saying Warner Brothers is going to release 75,000 DVDs of The Dark Knight and then never again!!

We'll see all this stuff again.
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

Regardless of the price and whatnot, I am definately going to grab one of these purely for the game itself... the models are just an added bonus.

I might finally be able to see what this game is all about, it looks friggin fun though!
    "All power... demands sacrifice..." ~ Sindri Myr

Chaplain

Perhaps GW isn't overly concerned with maximizing profits with this release. :P

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Default By golly its good!

Just been in my local Store and seen the open sample box set, the Terminators are on a par with Marneus and his honour guard in regards to detail and poses. The sheer crispness of detail is seriosly astounding. £60 for £70 worth of awesome marine models plus the genes plus a kick *** game system you can play on a tiny table. GW spends aprox 5-6 MILLION pounds ( yes MILLION )a year on its plastic production and uses technology only available to doctors and dentists, and beleive me it shows. Well done guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Ummmmm... yeah. We all know they keep saying it's a limited run. Many thanks for clarifying...

Let's just run the numbers, though. Which was the point I was making.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the molds for the Land Raider sprues cost just over one million dollars to manufacture. It's been about ten years, and this looks like more spures, but let's say that price holds.

About 8,500 units sold will just cover the cost of the molds. Nothing else. Let's double that amount to cover sculptors, printing, and the general work in revisiting the rules one way or another.

Which means, out of that limited run, more than 20% of it is GW just breaking even. Assuming prices are the same as they were ten years ago. If we wanted to be pessimistic, I could probably knock it up to 25% and no one could really say I'm being outrageous. Not bad, but also not the greatest profit margin on earth.

So,with that in mind, why would they stop making them? It's like saying Warner Brothers is going to release 75,000 DVDs of The Dark Knight and then never again!!

We'll see all this stuff again.
    You also need to remember that 1) that million dollar price tag was including all other costs of sculpters etc, and 2) this is using a far more inferior plastic designed for 1 piece cast molds. Thats it. I'd say total production cost of this game was $750k, in which case they'll break even at 15ish%. fairly reasonable i'd say.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Brother-Sergeant

Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if there are rules to use other armies instead of SM? I'm pretty sure the Chaos would like a go? Not to mention the green Oks.

The SH models are not single piece.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    You also need to remember that 1) that million dollar price tag was including all other costs of sculpters etc, and 2) this is using a far more inferior plastic designed for 1 piece cast molds. Thats it. I'd say total production cost of this game was $750k, in which case they'll break even at 15ish%. fairly reasonable i'd say.

Librarian

Hmm... Who here isn't going to be using these as an ish-Honour Guard retinue then?
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Played Space Hulk at my local GW this afternoon and it only took about 10 minutes to understand the rules - it is awesome - as good as the 1st edition.

Link to what I can remember about the rules here:

[url]http://closet1gamer.blogspot.com/[/url]

The terminators alone are worth the price of the box and it's an awesome system to play. And so, so tough to win.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast