BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Space Hulk - beyond the hype

Some thoughts about Space Hulk:

1. Yes the miniatures are good. But GW has been doing a higher proportion of exquisite minis for a while. On the flip side you'll have to convert to get away from BA and they won't fit a standard carry case - incorporation into standard armies would be hard(er).

2. Yes Space Hulk the original was tops with the 2 expansions. I still play 1st Ed. Yes all the game and both expansions goes for £150 on Ebay. But can GW be trusted not to dumb the rules down because look what happened to 2nd Ed? Where is it now?

3. It might be a limited edition. It might be an old favourite. But this rehash is far from the 'never been done before'. With the ability to have done a plastic tile board using the cities of death tech, that alone would have been revolutionary for GW.

Quite frankly whilst it looks good I don't think this matches the hype and I have no idea what is making grown men run around creaming themselves. Next you'll be wanting mass hysteria if a princess dies in a car crash.

Space Hulk is about game play. As stated you can get brilliant minis already. So not sure why a true fan would not just have ebayed 1st edition - the only thing about this set is if you are a collector and want all 3 eds or a complete game to sit on a dusty shelf.

I for one don't think the hype has been lived up to and as, after the revolution, advertising executives are amongst the first to go up against the wall, I feel just slightly disappointed that it is ops normal for GW, as opposed to something truly earth shattering.

You have my full agreement there. What a fuss about nothing.

I don't own Space Hulk but if I did I would not buy this. As it is I'm not buying this anyway, I don't agree with the rose tinted spec comments on other threads, It is far too expensive!
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Banned

"True fan"? What defines that? I see it thrown about on many sites (mostly Transformers and GI Joe ones) - and usually it means 'people who agree with me'.

I own both other versions (multiples of 1st ed in fact), Ultra Marines, have most of the WD and Journal articles, and the PC game. I've converted up several squads from the current terminator boxes onto 25mm bases. I have a 4 litre ice cream tub filled with genestealers.

I'm still getting this version. The minis are amazing - sure GW makes other great minis, but I don't see where else I can get these. New missions, new background, more floor tiles - all sounds good to me. Should I miss out on the off chance that GW has screwed up the rules? No, if the rules suck I can just use 1st ed with some new, really cool models.

So people are excited, let them be. I'm sure you've been excited over things I couldn't care less about - doesn't mean it's the end of the world (like some people might feel when who they find an insipring role model dies in a car crash), just means people are excited over something you're not.

Battle-Brother

I think the hype is a bit odd, but according to many; Space Hulk is a great game and many missed it.

And as for the items in the box, three cool markers/objectives for use in the game and in your normal 40k games, 11 Terminators and a Librarian who looks great, these things alone would be around 50£.

So I guess the extra 9£ for 22 Genestealers and a Broodlord and a great game sounds all right to me.

Fan-boy or not…

What excites me:

1.) Rediculously detailed plastic models

2.) The ability to get more people that play that weren't around or missed it when it came out in 1989!! (or 2nd ed in what, 96?)

3.) The amount of stuff you get for the price.

4.) The quality of everything in it.

What doesn't:

1.) The *****ing and whining over rampant rumor and speculation put out by the community.

2.) The price point, despite the value.

I just want to comment on the price-issue:

Other similar compelx board games cost roughly the same. I too remember the times when a nice boradgame was less than 30€ but today 80€ for one like SH is pretty standard.

One oxample would be the starcraft boardgame.

Banned

I don't know. A board game is a board game and $100 is a lot to ask for one. I am very on the fence but right now I might just skip Space Hulk.

If the models were multipart (even just Black Reach style) or the board was plastic sections then it would be a different story. It kinds of seems like they knew the game would be a success so they didn't bother with making the best out of it.

"1. Yes the miniatures are good. But GW has been doing a higher proportion of exquisite minis for a while. On the flip side you'll have to convert to get away from BA and they won't fit a standard carry case - incorporation into standard armies would be hard(er)."

That's the dumbest argument I ever heard. Almost half my minis don't fit in a standard carry case, even when not converted. And that's hardly a reason to not be into the game altogether.

Just cause they've been doing good minis for ages doesn't mean these arn't also desirable, as they're one of a kind. I'm not to fussed about the game but I would really love to have those Blood Angels, because they're unique.

I'm still kicking myself over not getting the limited edition Ethereal that came with the box set after the last codex. I'll probably never get the chance to own one now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forhekset View Post
    Just cause they've been doing good minis for ages doesn't mean these arn't also desirable, as they're one of a kind. I'm not to fussed about the game but I would really love to have those Blood Angels, because they're unique.
    These Space Hulk terminators are sharp (I have only seen pics of three of them) with all of the unique poses that couldn't be made from the regular kit. The only problem is that they are so unique that everyone's will look exactly the same. I am not shy concerning converting models but then their unique poses would be lost so what is the point?

I would just hate to see models that i put time, effort, and money into fighting a mirror match against another set from the same kit.

(Obviously I would want to use the terminators for 40k and Space Hulk, who wouldn't?)

Actually, all the stuff you're getting with Space Hulk is a great deal. Unlike most board games, the Space Hulk contents can be used with regular 40K. Also, I'm guessing that GW will write expansion rules (they need to put something with White Dwarf) to include other races. Some Imperial Guard rules for Space Hulk would be sweet.

Anyway, I want 2 sets. One will be a stand alone game (Blood Angels vs. 'Nids) like originally intended. Nothing like a quick 40K fix without the bother of setting up a 1500 point table.

The other set is for converting Blood Angels into Blood Ravens and starting a new army.

All in all, I'm really happy with the new release.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast