BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fly Lord

Default RECAPTCHA Update

We are aware of the end of life for Recaptcha 1.0 and are finding a mediawiki developer currently to update all the vwikis to use the new 2.0 version.

The wikis will have to be updated to a more recent version of mediawiki to work with the new RECAPTCHA.

I will let you all know the status, but we are working on getting it done quickly.

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

In what instances is Recaptcha used at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor S. View Post
    In what instances is Recaptcha used at the moment?
    I think it's only used in new account creation, to select the spammers from real editors.

Fly Lord

It's on the new user registration page. I don't believe its anywhere else.

Also I have found a developer, who will start on the update this week.

-L

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    It's on the new user registration page. I don't believe its anywhere else.

Also I have found a developer, who will start on the update this week.

-L
    Any news on this and the other issues I mentioned before?

People seem to have problems. From the Discord-Channel:

Pixizz Little Loli Panda - heute um 13:34 Uhr
    Hey any admin here ? The captcha site is down and so it's impossible to request an account ; even using the "reCaptacha v1 is shutdown" captcha, the error message is that my biography is less than 50 words when it's not.

Hi Bigred,

thanks for the feedback.

yeah, the really STRANGE thing though is that the last couple of days spambot registering is REALLY slow as compared to pre-Xmas-time. Did they cut off Russia from the internet? Is St Petersburg collectively too drunk? We'll never know

I would also ask if e-mail-confirmation should not be mandatory. After all without a confirmed e-mail how could a legit user have an account?

If you're going to make the other information section obligatory, you should atleast change what its request of the user. Currently it has:

"The following information is kept private and will only be used for this request. You may want to list contacts such a phone number to aid in identify confirmation"

Which basicly means "gives us your phone number" which will likely scare people off. Maybe change it to something like "Provides us with a basic background on yourself, so we can distinguish between a genuine user and a spam bot."

Quote Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
    If you're going to make the other information section obligatory, you should atleast change what its request of the user
    Obviously. Nobody is really interested in their phone numbers. Something like "Write something about you and the hobby" is what I had in mind (I thought I said that, if not, that's what I should have said).

Fly Lord

Yeah - that's fine. We should be able to change the description text.

On confirmed being mandatory - I have seen some cases where an obviously real user (based on username/ description being background based) didn't have a confirmed email address. There can be lots of reasons that can happen - so I'd rather not make that mandatory.

A also agree that the spam registrations come in "waves" and things were really heavy in November-early December. Who knows? Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast