BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Fly Lord

Yeah - that's fine. We should be able to change the description text.

On confirmed being mandatory - I have seen some cases where an obviously real user (based on username/ description being background based) didn't have a confirmed email address. There can be lots of reasons that can happen - so I'd rather not make that mandatory.

A also agree that the spam registrations come in "waves" and things were really heavy in November-early December. Who knows? Fingers crossed!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    On confirmed being mandatory - I have seen some cases where an obviously real user (based on username/ description being background based) didn't have a confirmed email address. There can be lots of reasons that can happen - so I'd rather not make that mandatory.
    Yeah same experience here. The Spam Filters does not like the Lexicanum mail.

Fly Lord

Update guys,

I just gave the registration updates to the programmer. I will advise when he finishes them.

1) removing the "other info" field entirely
    2) adding the "biography" field back in with the default 50 word minimum

This will give us a mandatory writing sample from each registrant.

-Larry

Fly Lord

Done, all wikis updated:

1) removed the "other info" field entirely (there is no way in mediawiki to make filling it out mandatory)
    2) adding the "biography" field back in with a 10 word minimum. It's short as people used to complain about the old 50 word one, but IS mandatory, and enough to give the admins something to go off of. It will be easy to spot legitimate applicants now.

Done, all wikis updated:

1) removed the "other info" field entirely (there is no way in mediawiki to make filling it out mandatory)
    2) adding the "biography" field back in with a 10 word minimum. It's short as people used to complain about the old 50 word one, but IS mandatory, and enough to give the admins something to go off of. It will be easy to spot legitimate applicants now.
    Putting the minimum at 10 words might be for the best really. I hope that it doesn't hurt newcomers when the split happens.

Done, all wikis updated:

Sounds good. And THANKS! I have not (yet) seen it myself in action, but from checking the logs it seems there was only one account request since the implementation that got through (and which was rejected by you, Bigred), so I assume it does its job

So far works like a charm to me

Well, thank God (I mean the Emperor!) that those Spambots that manage to fill in the new field are programmed by people with poor language skills and even less pronounced fantasy...

"I am jerry johnson. i am living in Newyork City which located in the country USA"

Translation: "I am jerry johnson [and certainly not Yurij Reducewrinklespambotic]. i am living in Newyork City [so not in Ex-Leningrad at all] which located in the country USA [an not in grrrrrreatest and most glorrrrrious Spam&Troll-Motherland of all times, you filthy capitalist, imperialist swine I do not try at all to infiltrate]."

Seriously though:
    Four account requests since yesterday, all spambots --> they have upped their game.
    Last edited by Inquisitor S.; 02-19-2019 at 03:42 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456