BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

That pic is no doubt blood angels red primer. And honestly, dipping only really looks well on organic looking models. If you paint a mini with 3 colors and dip it the right way, they will be good table top quality. And you can FINISH 10 in a couple hours! I'll post some pics of some demons that I dipped later.

Battle-Brother

slightly off topic: I've had good luck dipping space marines and even tanks.

Valdore nailed it. Get them to put down the game controller and pick up a paint brush.

Veteran-Sergeant

i think with some people the painting aspect takes time

Alot of people get into the gaming aspect first and enjoy playing games... give them enough time in the hobby (provided they last) and they will start to respect painting alot more

I know this is how i feel at the moment. when i first started playing at the age of 12, playng the game was all that mattered

Now to me its more about the model side of things

Battle-Brother

I've got two playable armies so far (Ultramarines and Orks, both started from the Black Reach set although lately I'm bulking up Orks like crazy ) and every piece of them is fully painted.

It's become a rule for me: Never bring a model to the table unless it's first something to be proud of. If my soldiers are going to fight and die at my command, they deserve enough respect to at least look good doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by vman View Post
    i think with some people the painting aspect takes time

Alot of people get into the gaming aspect first and enjoy playing games... give them enough time in the hobby (provided they last) and they will start to respect painting alot more

I know this is how i feel at the moment. when i first started playing at the age of 12, playng the game was all that mattered

Now to me its more about the model side of things

I agree, Although with me it was (and in fact, remains) the other way around.

I got into it for the modelling and painting. I like playing the game, sure...but when I started painting miniatures twenty years ago (yipes! Why aren't I better at it then? Hmmm) I hadn't even bought a copy of the game...

I do understand (on some level) people who don't want to spend their time painting. When your faced with 15 identical troopers it can be a little depressing and overwhelming. In fact, I'm still painting bloody Space Marines. thats why perhaps, GW should focus more on the converting side of the hobby. WD gives us alot of information about how we should all paint the same way, but comparatively little on individualising miniatures; painting individuals keeps me interested. That's one of the reasons why i like Necromunda...

Librarian

i personally think its depressing facing off against an opponent who couldn't even be bothered to paint in the faces.

even when i started the hobby (and playing the game was more important than the hobby side), i bought 10 valhallans and a leman russ. i painted them up to use in a GW store game. not great painting knowledge, and they looked terrible, but at least i took the time to paint them, silver molten T1000 lookalike guardsmen would just look terrible next to a concrete statue of a leman russ.

now i have to admit that i'm more into the painting side, kit bashing, converting, modifying and taking great care in painting is now my main concern. the fluff and look of the army is much more interesting to me than who wins the games, as long as the game was fun.

but my painting skills still arent great, i simply "paint by numbers" block colours, skin colour faces and hands, codex grey clothes, boltgun metal parts, brown belts, black boots, and shadow grey armour. chuck on a wash, and ta da, a decent looking army without any great knowledge of drybrushing, highlighting or anything.

i admit that i have a lot of time on my hands, but i still don't dedicate much time to painting, no more than i would if i had a full time job, but at least i'm making the effort, thats all i'd ask for.

my aim for the hobby at the mo is to have a really nice army, 3 nice oponent armies, head over to warhammer world and spend a long weekend playing narrative campaigns on nice scenery with nicely painted armies, wouldnt that be cool?
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Not everyone is in this hobby to paint. Some collect, some convert, and others just want to play.

Also, some are a mix of the four.

I have been playing since 1988, and I don't own one painted army. Some times I come across egotistical punks who won't play my armies due to their gray exterior. I couldn't care less about such children. I am in this hobby to play the game, and nothing more.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Not everyone is in this hobby to paint. Some collect, some convert, and others just want to play.

Also, some are a mix of the four.

I have been playing since 1988, and I don't own one painted army. Some times I come across egotistical punks who won't play my armies due to their gray exterior. I couldn't care less about such children. I am in this hobby to play the game, and nothing more.
    I've been playing Fantasy Warriors of Chaos for 5 years now, and am only just now painting up to have a fully painted army.

I just have better things to do. my painting takes a lot of time (2 hours per model, -10 minutes per model in a batch to a minimum of 30 minutes per model) and my characters are super painted (minimum of 10 hours paint time). I'd rather make sure my girlfriend is happy, go to band practice, play guitar, clean my apartment, work, or go to school than paint 90% of the time. I'm trying to get into the habit of painting 4 hours a week though.

People that refuse to play someone without their army completely 3 color minimum while their army looks like balls is one of the most infuriating things ever.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chaplain

I disagree about the dipping to a degree. Nids and daemons can look great with "proper" dipping (i.e. washes, floor polish, flesh colored primer, etc).

I have to say, though...holy crap, is the game better when your army is fully painted...

Chaplain

Aye, much like Valdor I have upwards of 120 orky models either in gray or still in sprue. I paint my models on a 1 to 1 basis. Finishing each model before I move onto the next. Hells, I dont even glue my models together until all the individual bitz are painted (takes me a LONG time to build kits like trukks, but I ensure every bit is painted, no unsightly impossible to reach spots).

It just takes me longer, but I paint for myself, I like looking at my army and saying "I did all this!" its a good feeling, and so what if it takes me a bit longer?

Other people.. not so much, just a quick dirty job, it takes all kinds.

Just remember: always keep your first painted mini, its a reminder of where you came. Mine is a Space Marine with so much (black) paint on it most of the detail is missing. Gold 'lines' on the shoulder-pads (which are glued on wrong), and weird red splotches for eyes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast