BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Defiler AT-AT Mash-up...

Hello Chaps

Would appreciate your comments on these WIP shots. This is the result of a cacked-up defiler off ebay and an ancient AT-AT kit (which was going to be some sort of command sentinel) now due to give blood to the blood god.

Questions- would you accept this as an opponent and do you think GW Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World will?
    Last edited by Denzark; 09-22-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Personally, that looks like the kind of thing that I'd enjoy seeing on the table in a friendly game, but would have big problems with in a tourney. It's the size that does it for me - the things so big it could theoretically be used to block line of sight to a good chunk of your force during the first couple of turns.

If it were finished up and looked really really cool I'd accept it in a 40K game as a regular defiler.

But really, this is why they invented custom apocalypse data sheets. A Deamon Engine of one of the powers? An one-off Chaos Space Marine or Traitor Adeptus project? A Traitor Knight? Lots of possibilities there...
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chaplain

Honestly, I'd say put a tail on it an use it as a Brass Scorpion. Since it would be an Apocalypse model, I wouldn't have any problem with playing against it. As a Defiler, eh, as said above, I'd let it slip in a friendly game, but I highly doubt it would fly with the judges at any respectable tournament.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Scout

That is one cool looking defiler! As far as I am concerned, Projects like this are what this hobby is all about. Good on you!

I'd say make an Apoc datasheet for it. Looks like it could be some sort of nasty large assault vehicle. Can carry up to 20 models, or 10 terminators or something of the sort.
    Pretty cool.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Hell, just from the fact that seeing that would make my month, I'd let you use it.

You've made one nerd very happy today.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Craz View Post
    Hell, just from the fact that seeing that would make my month, I'd let you use it.

You've made one nerd very happy today.
    Take it you're a SW fan Craz - thanks for the kind comment!

Librarian

i don't wish to sound horrible, i'm a massive star wars fan, and a 40k fan. and while i love to see things i recognise, i just can't get my head around WHY you've done this

are there any other star wars themed models inyour army, ie a darth vader or emperor palpatine lookalike chos lord, because then it would be quite funny/cool to have a gimmicky army ike that

but if your're simply using it for its shape, it should be desguised a lot more, under some greenstuff, or plasticard sheeting/detailing. you need to make it something that looks unique, or people will simply ask why you've stuck more legs onto an ATAT and brought it into a 40k game.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    i don't wish to sound horrible, i'm a massive star wars fan, and a 40k fan. and while i love to see things i recognise, i just can't get my head around WHY you've done this

are there any other star wars themed models inyour army, ie a darth vader or emperor palpatine lookalike chos lord, because then it would be quite funny/cool to have a gimmicky army ike that

but if your're simply using it for its shape, it should be desguised a lot more, under some greenstuff, or plasticard sheeting/detailing. you need to make it something that looks unique, or people will simply ask why you've stuck more legs onto an ATAT and brought it into a 40k game.
    Going back to another thread on non-GW models, I was luck enough to have a Dad who was a master modeller - having represented 2 different Games Workshopys in 2 different categories at UK Golden Demon in the 90's. A lot of my early modelling was other company's stuff but with bang on GW made weapons.

This AT-AT was originally going to stand alone with GW Weapon swaps in my Guard Army. I then thought if I posed it with all legs bent crouching down it would make a cool defiler - a spare Leman Russ Turret was going to be the Battle Cannon and the hatch would have replaced with the Daemon Head.

But then I thought I needed something with more GW parts obvious and looking a little closer to the original. Hence this version.

As to getting your head around 'WHY' I wish I could answer that - could equally be asked 'WHY' a 30yo man with a 2 year old nipper spends so much time and money on this plastic crack rather than saving for my son's education lol!

But, main reasons are:

1. Exisiting kits already have far more surface detail than plasticard, take paint better and are less time and effort than milliput.

2. Not including my time this has come in at £20-ish and has been far more of a modelling challenge than simply following instructions.

3. Never been totally happy with the defiler model like the legs just not the uber vulnerable turret with strange heid on top.

4. Exclusivity. I'd say this is pretty unique. I sort of like the 'wtf - hang on a minute - is that - no it can't be' I would not be trying to get any extra benefits for it, and it is built wysiwyg with Autocannon, Hflamer and Battle cannon.

Now my only hope is that the extra size (potentially blocking LOS) is considered weighed off by if it's bigger it can be hit more often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast