All I seem to hear about is 2000 point battles, and while those are all well and good, I have a new tactical challenge.

Hoo boy, is it a challenge.

So, our club has just had a very successful tournament using 500 point battles over a lunch hour, and I'm planning next year's. Yes, I know the game is not designed for games of 500 points, so please don't raise that - if you're posting here, you have accepted that all you have is 500 points, and you're okay with that. No, this isn't Kill Team; it's standard 40K, just on a tiny scale- if you're posting here, you have accepted that you have to have squads that hold coherency and must seize Objectives, and you're okay with that too.

The challenge here is to take the limitations, and try to invent something that can actually win a game.

Yes, it's unbalanced, hard, and near impossible.This is deliberate.

Mytherers and whiners need not apply.

The 500 Point Army List Challenge Itself

The 500 Point Army List Challenge is simple: if you had to design an army of no more than 500 points (even one point over is not allowed, though under is just fine), following the standard FOC chart (i.e.: you must begin with 1 HQ and 2 Troops), what would you field?

Oh, and there are these unbreakable rules:

1.) The army must use at least one "iconic" to that army (i.e.: if BA, you must have Sanguinary Guard or Death Company; if IG, you must have at least one Chimera or Leman Russ, etc...)

2.) The army must include at least one unit with visual "Wow!" factor (i.e.: Carnifex, Dreadknight, Space Marine Captain in war bling, etc...)

The army must also be reasonably playable (i.e.: designed to actually win a game, insofar as it can given the above rules ), so once you've done the list, you must then explain how it wins; what tactics should the general playing it use?

So, given those very specific rules, what would you bring?