The term "Rules Lawyer" can be a tricky one. Some folks see it in a positive light. Others see it as a term laden with derision.

I assume most gamers are nice guys. "Rules Lawyer" might mean something slightly different to me than it does to some gamers. Nuance can be *very* hard to convey on the interwebz. To me rules lawyers are the kinds of folks who push the rules as hard as possible to find the week points to exploit. They sap all fun from gaming in my experience. I considered the whole argument (seen elsewhere on the interwebz) about whether THSS Deathwing Termies being able to have Cyclone Missile Launchers a prime example of rules lawyering. Another thread suggesting that a Tau Bomber won't ever get to bomb because it doesn't start off with a bomb falls into the same category (in my opinion). Wound shenanigans on Grey Knight Paladins at the start of 6th Edition also struck me this way.

I suspect that some in the hobby have a different take on the term "rules lawyer." Perhaps it means "one who delves deeply into the depths of the rules and knows them in and out." That would be a far more positive term. I call folks like that "rules gurus." I dig those folks.

I keep coming back to the basic idea that we all take different things away from this wonderful hobby. I get turned off by overly rules-lawyerly opponents and tend to veer away from them. Some seem to be turned off by my more easy-going attitude towards gaming. Fair enough. In a real world situation we might get along famously. Who knows. Again, nuance is hard to convey on the interwebz. So, I suggest caution with the term "rules lawyer." It might mean one thing to the sender and another to the receiver. Cheers!