Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
Actually, that's just an opinion held by those who seem to think the game is some kind of highly paid competitive sport, and thus place all onus on winning.

Not really...I hardly ever play in tournaments. Mostly just pickup games at the FLGS. And while the new releases are making some sales the player pool here in Florida has definitely dwindled down over the years from when I started back in 6th edition.

I would like to be able to use my monsters without being one shotted by a cannon that costs half the points. Its not like you just won't play against war machines either Dwarfs, Empire, Skaven, WOC, DOC, Ogres etc...

OK so all your monsters are getting shot off the board in 2 turns? Let's go with big blocks of infantry that can take a few hits and keep going...oh wait is that an IF cast Dwellers or Purple Sun? Yeah...that happens and frequently.

So unless you have a small and specific player pool for your "beer & pretzels" games where you house rule everything or play by Euro tournament rules restrictions (which doesn't really happen here in the USA) it is a valid concern about game balance and without a doubt has driven a lot of people away from the game.

I realize this is all anecdotal evidence, but just wanted to share what is happening in my neck of the woods.

I'm looking forward to 9th edition changes if it brings more veteran players back into the fold and makes the game more accessible/affordable to new players.