Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
Big issue here? All combat strategies are still based in the old system. For instance, assaulting piecemeal. Just doesn't work any more. You get all shot to bits. However, you can still win with assault if you can arrange multiple assaults against multiple enemy units. Get them bogged down, and shooting counts for little. Once you're stuck in, HTH remains as deadly as ever. After all, a decisive round of shooting has to wipe out the enemy entirely, which can be a tall order. Decisive round of HTH? Against a decent percentage of units, it's curtains for them on account they'll break, then be caught by the victorious unit.
I've found a lot of success with my Knights of Blood (BA 'dex) army by presenting multiple close combat threats, all of them fast moving (jump or in a fast transport), with varied capabilities. Assault marines are good bullies and they score, and with a priest they're hard to remove. Death company are terrifying. Hammernatorts are, well, hammernators. My opponent can't shoot them all down, and I end up getting stuck in on his side of the board. While I usually lose my one scoring unit, I almost always take out my opponent's scoring units and win on a combination of First Blood, Linebreaker, and/or Slay the Warlord.