I hear a lot of people hating on parts of 7th ed for this reason and that reason; so without further ado, I'd like to say why I think it's a very good improvement over older editions:

1/ open toolbox - take a moment if you will to think about many of the things people crave in the 40k universe - the stories of heroism and the 'ordinary dude' being a hero. We can do this now, people wanted Necromunda back and frankly with the 'you don't have to have points' army lists that is so doable. Sure, like Cities of Death it's lost it's character but we can have it, with a lot less paperwork too.

2/ Psychic phase - this was something I was dubious about, very much so when I heard about it. But once I'd played I realised that actually, having it all done in one place at one time was awesome, it took away a lot of trying to remember when to cast this or that; or arguments by some WAAC players over whether my psyker could even cast a power.

3/ Unbound - a lot of people really hate on this; but nobody that I play with has a problem with me going unbound, they know I'm not a jerk power gamer or WAAC (trust me I can lose with either style of list), it's a tool, you just need to agree (like it says in the Rules) what you can and can't have or do. Unbound is a huge boon for Tyranids in particular (fluff R us) but so many armies benefit from it.

4/ Maelstrom of War missions - We do now have more missions than ever (and it saddens me that people still seem to favour playing the same boring old missions time and again), we have Planetstrike, Cities of Death; an entire book of missions (Altar of War), numerous Apocalypse supplements; we don't need to play the same mission twice in the same year. I count over a hundred missions all told; including the new Cities ones and Apocalypse. Over 100, think on that, how many people even play 100 missions a year?

5/ And last but not least, pretty much all our codexes are coming up to 7th ed standard; the only OP dexes really were written for 6th ed. From what I've seen of things all the latest ones are pretty even in power. they all got nerfs and a couple of units buffed. The Tyranids got a lot of love just lately and as a nid player I am happy for them.

So that's my take, my views on 7th and why I think it's so far the best yet. You may not agree; that's fine, I just wanted to show how it can be; how excited I personally am that I can create the storylines I want to do.

Now we can have gangs of civilians in our armies, yep, dust off those old Necromunda gangs people; they have a new use. Dust off the buildings and ruins too, as CoD is still pretty awesome (I played it the first day I got it with my mate and we had one of our best and most enjoyable games ever (I still lost)). If anyone thinks of anything I haven't, post it; and let's please post the positives here; we always hear the bad bits, let's hear the good stuff from folk that like me have found something in 7th really gets the creative juices flowing.