Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
So no game with any amount of luck can be competitive? No miniatures game that uses dice or any random factor. Not even poker can truly be competitive.

I see how that is difficult, but Poker mathshammer, the odds are steady. everyone at the table has same starting odds. That ain't the case in a tournament where certain armies will mean their winning T1 is hugely advantageous.

Except there's ways to get around that stuff, for the most part. "Hedge your bets" in different ways, basically. Make sure luck can't hurt your army too much. Part of the skill is in building lists, so if you built a nastier list, you're a better player in that part of the game at least.

I am unsure if you can call copy pasting a netlist and happening to have the money to purchase it, skilled. Its Pavlovian but is there much skill to that aspect?

Pretty much the only games that could be considered competitive, with such a definition, are chess, checkers, and the like.
If the definition of competitive is where the single most important deciding factor is player ability then the less random factors, the more innate talent is required so I probably agree.