Outside of good gameplay and general tabletop fun a strong selling point for Star Wars Armada is that like X-wing the ships are prepainted. Even for us hardcore hobby lovers this is a nice touch. Between GW, Infinity, Coolmini, Historicals and so on forevermore there are already more things to paint than any of us have time to ever actually finish. However unlike X-wing, Armada does not offer up 100% painted product. The small squadron ships are bare plastic, silver grey for Imperials and tan for Rebels. So now there is actually something, albeit a very small something, for us painting nerds to have a go at.

What follows is my first efforts with these tiny fellas with some short commentary... yikes it's been a long time since I painted anything this small and smooth! I'm happy with how some of these turned out but a few of them will be revisited! Please share comments, criticisms and any advice you may have from your own efforts. So let's hit the ground running with the first wave rebel options! And for no good reason other than my OCD need to organize we'll go in alphabetical order.

A-WINGS

FFG did a great job with this little ship. The core details for the engines and cockpit are sculpted into the model which makes these an absolute dream to paint.

Here we have a basic squadron.

And to represent the elite pilot I painted one up in the Rebel Aces colours.

Here's a formation shot

And I wanted to show a couple scale comparison shots for chuckles.

Looking at these together I may go back and add a few small slightly darker grey squares to break up the flat light areas.

I used the following Colours and technique for these wee fighters. Any comparable colours would do great... these were just laying about my desk and I was too lazy to bother digging out anything different.

1) Sprayed on White Primer
2) Used GW Mephiston Red for the striping (size 10/0 brush)
3) used P3 Thamar Black to block in the guns and canopy (10/0)
4) Painted the engine exhausts with GW Stormvermin fur (size 0)
5) Washed the whole model with GW Nuln Oil (size 0)
6) Blocked in the bright areas with 50/50 mix of GW Ceramite white/Administratum Grey (size 0 and 10/0 brushes)
7) Highlighted these areas with pure GW Ceramite white (0 and 10/0)
8) Highlighted Red areas with P3 Khador Red (0 and 10/0 to paint tiny raised stripe on cockpit)
9) Picked out the small raised bumps on the front and added a small circle to each engine exhaust with P3 Khador Red Highlight (Med Orange)
10) Highlighted the small raised bumps on the front and the engine exhausts with old GW Sunburst Yellow (any bright yellow would work)

I made the mistake of priming during a highly humid day so I managed to get a little roughness in the basecoat. When I'm sure that I'm done I'll hit these with a few coats of brush on sealer to smooth them back out. Honestly you can hide a lot of textured paint sins with a few coats of brush on clear coat!