BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Threaded View

Chapter-Master

Default Why I am liking AoS

I posted this on another forum (albeit with some minor edits) a little while ago but thought maybe my perspective might be interesting to some of you. I don't know, you can ignore it if it isn't.

Firstly I am primarily a hobbyist : I enjoy painting, converting, assembling and I heavily enjoy sculpting. So for me the hobby is more about that stuff. That is why I enjoy. Also, I'm not really a gamer at all, I can play a videogame for about 20-30 mins before I get tired and want to do something else and- I don't want to spend hours reading a rulebook, trying to memorise rules and statistics which it's why I've never really bothered with 40k or most other wargames as I personally found it boring and uninteresting.

However I do like the idea of spending half an hour playing a game once in a while as time-filler, like how you take out a quick cardgame or boardgame when you have some friends over, and without the dedication of learning rules and statistics, It's something I can actually take out and play with a mate with very little explanation so I actually find it *fun* because of that.

Also, I have learning disabilities so even if I wanted to learn all the rules and statistics of a game like 40k - I couldn't if I wanted to, and because of that I have always felt excluded from the gaming part of the community. AoS is simple enough that I can actually get into it and play it with friends that are of a similar mindset to me and have fun.

That said, I can empathise with the people that wanted a more "gamer friendly" game and were into the older editions, it most definitely isn't aimed at those people so I am guessing many of those must feel excluded from it too, especially with the old games backround being nuked.

Perhaps GW should perhaps release an "Advanced Age of Sigmar" rule book at some point to cater for those more dedicated gamers as I think this current game is more aimed at non-gamers, children and casuals that want to spend a little time pushing models about. Dedicated gamers seem to get enjoyment from the learning side, deep strategy, list-building ect and that's cool but personally I'm glad I actually have something I can finally play and enjoy with my friends. Previously, the only games I really enjoyed were space crusade and heroquest, which yes I played a lot as a kid too (And I still enjoy them)

EDIT : Just want to clarify incase anyone gets the wrong idea - I have zero interest in changing anyones minds or trying to get them to like it. I just thought that maybe a non-gamers perspective might be interesting to some of you given the forum is predominantly gamer minded folk.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 03-22-2016 at 12:24 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses