So, conventional wisdom says that Imperial Guard (IG) getting anywhere in Close combat (CC) is a load of BS. But is that strictly true?
I've just started playing 40k again, using IG, and it's a bit repetitive to see melta vet spam all the time. A BOLS report showed a Strakken-led IG force with a strong CC element taking names and kicking xenos butt.
So I'd like some advice from any IG egg-spurts who may have experience using the force in CC, just so I can create a more original and interesting force.

First up, I was wondering wether to use the influence of Yarrik or Strakken. If you had to pick just one, which do most people consider the best of those two if you want a strong CC elements in you army? Both have buffs, and advantages and disadantages; For example, Strakken has ablative wounds and customisation options since he has a retinue, Whereas Yarrik is one guy, but has Eternal Warrior and is very tough to kill.

Second, is it actually worth trying to have a genuinly competitive CC element? There are so many units that can buff out an infantry unit, and you have a lot of bodies meaning a lot of attacks. But even with the magic of priest granted re-rolls, Commissar enforced stubborness and their hidden powerfists and eviscerators...will a, say, 20-man blob squad ever stand a chance of being dangerous to much else than a kitten with its claws out? I'm not a mathhammer head; can anyone work some numerical magic on some CC scenarios (For example, uber-buffed Strakken-and-Yarrik influenced 20-man blob Vs whatever-the-heck-you-might-reasonably-face-in-CC)?

Thirdly, I'd love to play a 1500 game with Strakken AND Yarrik. It seems to make the Guard reasonably formiddible in CC. Is it expensive? Oh yeah! But any infantry within their spheres of influence will have I4 and STR4 on the charge (Strakken's influence), re-roll to hit on the charge (Yarrik's), and have counter-charge (Straken) as well as be either fearless or at least stubborn, as well as have the weight of the characters' individual prowess in the fight. Plus, it'd be interesting, you could have some great models on the board, and It'd be the last thing the enemy would expect. But would such a force still get slapped around by the vast majority of other armies in CC? I ask because I would genuinly give it a go, collecting a CC IG army, but I'd like to know if it's at least plausible it could be competitive before I do!

I even toyed with a CC based list:
'Iron-Nipple' Strakken, 3xvets w/las-pistols, 1xvet w/med-kit, 2xbodyguards, Chimera
Commissar Yarrik (attached to one of the 20-man squads)

PCS w/4xMelta Guns, Chimera
20-man Infantry squad w/2xflamers and Commissar W/Powerfist

20-man Infantry Squad W/2xflamers and Commissar W/Powerfist

20-man Infantry Squad W/2xFlamers, and Commissar W/Powerfist
20-Man Infantry squad W/2xflamers and Commissar W/Powerfist

Sentinel W/Autocannon.

The idea is that the melta gun equipped squads zoom ahead and hopefully a few get through and destroy the Biiiiig stuff. Alternatively, the Chimeras are parked up as road-blocks to block LOS for ranged weaponry, or impede movement of enemy melee units while everyone advances on foot, hopefully safe from enemy threats as they close in.

The blob squads advance, and Yarrik and Strakken remain close to the centre so they can both affect as many units as possible. As soon as they get close enough, it's charge-ey time! Again, if they can stay within the influence of both the Charcters, that 4x20 man squads with counter-charge, Furious charge, stubborn, re-rolling to hit on-the-charge, and with a cheeky Powerfist attack, which, if I understand the rules right, would be boosted to STR 8 on the charge (Furious charge boosts str by 1. Powerdist doubles user's strength, so +1 is added either to the user's base STR making it 4, doubled by the PF to 8, or it boosts the PF-enhanced strength of the attack from 6 to 7; can anyone clear this up?) And I'd get to use those fantastic Commisar models!

Any advice on IG CC would be welcome. Again, it'd just be nice to be able to unlock that element of the game for a traditionally shooty army, and make something different from the Vet-melta hegemony!