BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Sisters of Battle

Has anyone heard anything about a new SOB codex.
    Anyone want to take an educated guess when one might be released?

Chapter-Master

There are pretty reliable rumors that they are in the works currently.

It's unclear exactly when they will come out, but it looks like sometime next year, probably in the second half.

The current release schedule is rumored to be this: DE (confirmed, obviously), then Grey Knights, and then Sister of Battle or Necrons after that.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Tau are also in the works, it sounds like. There has also been little to no rumors, even wildly vague ones, for Eldar, Chaos (both Marines and Deamons), or Orks. On the Imperial side, there doesn't seem to be anything happening for either Dark Angels or Black Templars.

So, that leaves Grey Knights, Necrons, Tau, and possibly Sisters. Grey Knights are almost guaranteed to be next. Necrons are the last third edition codex, which makes me guess that it's high priority. Both Necron and Tau rumors seem more solid then anything for the Sisters, but the fact that there are rumors at all seem to point to them being more possible then any of the armies I listed in the first group.

Brother-Sergeant

I was going to get caught up in the dark eldar release, if I can just hold off till sisters come out....who am I kidding
    I don't have many opponents here and DE vrs DE seems rather hohum and I like the WH's and all their fluer de lys's.
    So hopefully next year ...gives me time to save up and get everything at once I guess. Thanks for your input.

The Dark Mechanic

Has anyone heard anything about a new SOB codex.
    You are a brave person to even ask that question.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by artemi View Post
    Tau are also in the works, it sounds like. There has also been little to no rumors, even wildly vague ones, for Eldar, Chaos (both Marines and Deamons), or Orks. On the Imperial side, there doesn't seem to be anything happening for either Dark Angels or Black Templars.
    There's a lot more actual rumors about Sisters than about Tau.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Wink Keep the Faith!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobynick View Post
    I was going to get caught up in the dark eldar release, if I can just hold off till sisters come out....who am I kidding
    I don't have many opponents here and DE vrs DE seems rather hohum and I like the WH's and all their fluer de lys's.
    So hopefully next year ...gives me time to save up and get everything at once I guess. Thanks for your input.
    G'day Moby! Just keep the Faith until a new Codex does arrive. A well crafted & balanced Sisters Army with lots of Faith points can still rock.
    Last Games night at our Club my 1900 pt Sisters Army defeated a Blood Angels Army by holding 1 uncontested Objective to none. Managed to kill Metaphiston & 10 Death Company along the way.(plus lots of other stuff like 3 Attack bikes etc)
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialsavant View Post
    G'day Moby! Just keep the Faith until a new Codex does arrive. A well crafted & balanced Sisters Army with lots of Faith points can still rock.
    Last Games night at our Club my 1900 pt Sisters Army defeated a Blood Angels Army by holding 1 uncontested Objective to none. Managed to kill Metaphiston & 10 Death Company along the way.(plus lots of other stuff like 3 Attack bikes etc)
    I actually was going to point that out. While the Sisters have a older codex, there's is not suffering from codex creep nearly as badly as others. *coughNecronscough*

They can get lots of well priced Immolators if you wanna do mech, or a surprisingly large number of 3+ stubborn bodies if you prefer foot. They even do some similar things better the current books, as the Immolator is more or less a close range Razorback with old extra armor prices, 'rending' bolters/ flamers, and it's generally easier to get tons of melta into Sisters lists as a whole. Add in Inquisitors with table wide psychic hoods, 'A word in your ear' Callidus assassins, and the ability to splash the new Grey Knight goodies when they get their new codex, you've got a really solid book.

Of course, the downsides are the fact that they are mostly direct order these days combined with a fully metal range...

Still, you could do a lot worse then start your collection now. The models as is still look rather good compared to newer lines, and aren't going to look nearly as bad as other sculpt comparisons, I suspect.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression the WH codex came out in 3rd edition as well??

The prices in the SoB codex do not make them competitive. Their transports cost 15 points more than a SM equivalent (and come w/o smoke and do not get 'auto glance' smoke either, they pay for all their special weapons and a Veteran Superior is almost mandatory to unlock their powers which costs 3 points more in addition to a standard SoB. This means a full SoB squad can have meltas, flamers and heavy flamers but they do not come with long range shooting and cost just about the same as a SM tactical and do not have the ability to combat squad. They also have WS/S/T/I 3 which gets then beaten in assault and they do not come with Frag or Krak grenades standard.

They have one viable HS choice which is good, but needs multiples to be reliable (Exorcist). Inquisitor Lords are a terrible point sink, even for their Psychic hood, and are almost never taken. The assassins are generally overpriced w/o grenades and require an Inquisitor which further inflates their cost.

The book has some of the worst acknowledge units in the game - Repentia and Penitent Engines while also sporting Arco Flagellants and over costed naked Priests as well.

Further, some units have lost their luster - seraphim I am looking at you although the changes to mech have been a general advantage to SoB who were usually mechanized before anyway.

That is not to say there are not good parts to the book. Even if you need more than one, Exorcists are awesome at blowing up transports, the Faith powers make for dynamic play with some really powerful combinations and a canonness can be a nightmare for an opponent. For Mech Immolaters are good in spite of being overcosted and you can generate a large number of them to saturate the board, meltas are abundant and the lack of long range firepower in troops is partially compensated by Exorcists..

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso2ts View Post
    The prices in the SoB codex do not make them competitive. Their transports cost 15 points more than a SM equivalent (and come w/o smoke and do not get 'auto glance' smoke either, they pay for all their special weapons and a Veteran Superior is almost mandatory to unlock their powers which costs 3 points more in addition to a standard SoB.
    Whoop-de-do, stuff is slightly more expensive than it is in newer codices. I'm sure that 3 whole points per squad cheaper would make Sisters the best army in the game.

None of this changes the fact that Sisters can still bring a significant amount of short-range firepower to bear on their opponent, and have several solid units, and are still competitive.

Sure, they're not as good as Guard or Space Wolves. But that doesn't mean they're as weak as Necrons or Grey Knights.

This means a full SoB squad can have meltas, flamers and heavy flamers but they do not come with long range shooting and cost just about the same as a SM tactical and do not have the ability to combat squad.
    Sisters might not have much firepower beyond 12-24" excluding the exorcist, but within that 12" range there are few armies that can match their firepower. And the exorcist is best defined as a workhorse of a main battle tank.

They also have WS/S/T/I 3 which gets then beaten in assault and they do not come with Frag or Krak grenades standard.
    Just because a unit isn't good in CC doesn't mean it's not a good unit. Besides, you shouldn't be assaulting with Sisters (excluding Seraphim). You will do more damage rapid-firing. Much more damage.

They have one viable HS choice which is good, but needs multiples to be reliable (Exorcist).
    Yes, well, the exorcist makes up for this by being really frikin' good.

Inquisitor Lords are a terrible point sink, even for their Psychic hood, and are almost never taken. The assassins are generally overpriced w/o grenades and require an Inquisitor which further inflates their cost.
    So don't take Inquisitor Lords or Assassins. Problem solved.

The book has some of the worst acknowledge units in the game - Repentia and Penitent Engines while also sporting Arco Flagellants and over costed naked Priests as well.
    Your point? Just because a codex has bad units doesn't mean it also has good ones.

Further, some units have lost their luster - seraphim I am looking at you although the changes to mech have been a general advantage to SoB who were usually mechanized before anyway.
    Seraphim are amazing. Not everyone likes them, but I have never gone wrong with them. Even in games where they didn't perform up to their usual standards, they still do well. Unless you get really unlucky and die on your deepstrike or something.

That is not to say there are not good parts to the book. Even if you need more than one, Exorcists are awesome at blowing up transports, the Faith powers make for dynamic play with some really powerful combinations and a canonness can be a nightmare for an opponent.
    Exactly.

For Mech Immolaters are good in spite of being overcosted and you can generate a large number of them to saturate the board, meltas are abundant and the lack of long range firepower in troops is partially compensated by Exorcists..
    You're answering your own questions here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast