BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default No Night Lord Fellblades (in Lords of Battle)?

So, I noticed that in the BoLS Lords of Battle supplement the background piece for the Legion Fellblade states that the Night Lords and White Scars eschew the use of them altogether. Is their any precedent background information behind this, or just something that seemed fitting?

Chapter-Master

My guess would be that the Night Lords whole "hunt from the shadows" combat doctrine would work in opposite to the notion of a giant friggin tank.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    My guess would be that the Night Lords whole "hunt from the shadows" combat doctrine would work in opposite to the notion of a giant friggin tank.
    Throw some bat wings on top and play the soundtrack from Tim Burton's Batman movies, and nobody'd see it coming.

And honestly, nothing says "Terror Tactics" like a huge friggin tank covered in bat wings.

Chaplain

I believe the thought behind that was Legions that relied on speed or stealth probably would not see a benefit to having a super-heavy in their armory. I would include the Raven Guard in that group as well.

That's not to say they did not have them at some point but given their current combat doctrine it seems unlikely they would field them now.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

Adeptus Custodes

Or the Alpha legion- it hardly fits into their cult, infiltration style. altough I'd ilove to see some try and infiltrate a superheavy

then again who knows what the alpha legion think
    More Necromunda please.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    Or the Alpha legion- it hardly fits into their cult, infiltration style. altough I'd ilove to see some try and infiltrate a superheavy

then again who knows what the alpha legion think
    I think it would look pretty cool if someone painted up a fellblade that the Alpha Legion had "borrowed" from their opponents. A couple of Alpha Legionnaires sitting in the top hatches of a fellbalde painted in the colours of the Ultramarines or the Imperial Fists would make my day- hell if I ever get one for my Ultramarines I might make an alternative Alpha Legion comamnd crew.

Fly Lord

I admit it, I made it up.

Ok here's the deal. When we made the Heresy book, we knew Fellblades were cool and wanted to put them in there. But we didn't want each 1st founding legion to be clones of each other.

So first we made the Fellblade rules, then the Bike/Speeder raiding party formation for the maneuver based legions (Whitescars/Night Lords). Once they had thier own special formation, we removed the Fellblade options for them so it all balanced out.

The Alpha Legion just never seemed to fit as they rarely seem to be described as fighting en masse or directly anyway. A Fellblade just didn't seem to fit with their covert ops fighting style. Now I like the idea of an Alpha Legion Fellblade always being in the colors of your opponent's army and reserving into thier deployment zone... that sounds perfect!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS