BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 40k FAQ

Default New 40k FAQ

GW has posted an updated FAQ. Lots of new stuff added and it looks like the FAQs are now official rulings rather than just house rules.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1490286a_FAQ_40Krulebook_version1_1.pdf[/url]

Chapter-Master

Spam more please.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Before anyone flips out, NO, destroying an enemy vehicle that moved flat out DOES NOT kill the unit inside. The unit inside a transport being destroyed after it moved flat out will ONLY happen if the vehicle is destroyed in your own turn. Remember, whenever the word "turn" is used, it refers to "player turn" unless specified otherwise. (Page 9.) It should generally not be that big of an issue, but watch moving those skimmers through rough terrain!

Other interesting tidbits:
    Stealth now spreads around. Telion, while still expensive, is at least better.
    Independent characters cannot hang back as much anymore, and get into the fight.
    Units that have gone to ground and then are forced to move in any way return to normal.

In general, the FAQ is excellent. Good work GW.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

GW has posted an updated FAQ. Lots of new stuff added and it looks like the FAQs are now official rulings rather than just house rules.
    sorry but where did you get FAQ's = now official rulings?

the page before all the PDF files for each codex says this

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'. They are, of course, useful when you play a pick-up game against someone you don't know, or at tournaments (i.e. when you don't have a set of common 'house rules' with the other player). However, if you disagree with some answers and prefer to change them in your games and make your own house rules with your friends, that's fine. In fact we encourage you to shape the game around your needs and your taste. We firmly believe that wargaming is about two (or more!) people creating a gaming experience they are both going to enjoy. In other words, you might prefer to skip the FAQs altogether and instead always apply the good old 'roll a dice' rule whenever you meet a problematic situation.

Same as its always been.

The link to the rulebook errata and FAQ's words it differently but still calls them common questions or FAQ's. Nothing about being solid rule changes or set in stone.

Chaplain

Read the intro text to the FAQ/errata itself.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Biscuit View Post
    Read the intro text to the FAQ/errata itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    The link to the rulebook errata and FAQ's words it differently but still calls them common questions or FAQ's. Nothing about being solid rule changes or set in stone.
    He did, and nothing in there mentions anything that supersedes the ruling by the GW Design Team itself in The Shrine of Knowledge.

Quote me where it says that "FAQs are now official" or "Answers to FAQs are now official Rulings that must be obeyed" Plus you need "Ignore the tidbit in The Shrine Of Knowledge about FAQS being house rules". I need you to find me those exact phrases, please.

I have already.

Firstly that change is in the rulebook update only. Not in any of the other FAQ's. It was only added because they added "ammendmants" so they are jsut giving a brief description of erratas, ammedmants and FAQ's.

1-The Errata corrects any mistakes in the book

2-Amendments bring the book up to date with the latest version of the rules.

3-The Frequently Asked Questions (or ‘FAQ’) section answers commonly asked questions about
    the rules.

1- erratas are for mistakes in the book. for instance missing off ordanance blast from blood angels vindicators. it was something they physically had to change so its an errata.

2- Amendments i can only imagine will be changes like they did in fantasy. removing rules that no longer exist or have been changed and updating paragraphs accordingly.

3 - FAQ"s, answering questions. thats all it is. a bunch of questions/grey areas and a judgment either way or description of how it could be played. On the previous page Gamesworkshop states there are grey ares and FAQ's are like studio house rules. a way of keeping the game flowing. However they are by no means rules corrections or rules in their own right.

I'm not saying don;t use them as rules, feel free. But not everyone will play that way.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    I'm not saying don;t use them as rules, feel free. But not everyone will play that way.
    This is what I hope people keep in mind. Yes, most people use the GW FAQS as sacrosanct, but, you can NEVER force your opponent to play by a FAQ's answer, as they are just house rules.

FAQS are just house rules to help keep the game moving along quickly when there is a rule hiccup, and neither player is willing to shed their stubbornness and roll a Die.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    This is what I hope people keep in mind. Yes, most people use the GW FAQS as sacrosanct, but, you can NEVER force your opponent to play by a FAQ's answer, as they are just house rules.

FAQS are just house rules to help keep the game moving along quickly when there is a rule hiccup, and neither player is willing to shed their stubbornness and roll a Die.
    That having been said, I have never met another player who looked me in the eyes and said "I disagree with the GW FAQ and I would rather there be no clarity on that rule than to defer to the FAQ."

I mean, yeah. You can do it. But why would you?

i can think of one or two that cause arguments because they are read wrong

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast