BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Creating A New Chapter of Space Marines: How Is It Done?

Ok so I was just wondering this: I know that space marine chapters send samples of Geneseed to the mechanicum/administratum as like a monitoring thing and tests for purity, but I was wondering what happens when they have enough surplus geneseed to make a new chapter? Such things can happen if a Chapter can send in enough geneseed.

I'm aware The Imperium has the ability to make new marines with this surplus geneseed, but how is the organization of a new chapter carried out? I mean I know recruits would become scouts and then marines and so on, but who monitors the first generation? Who are the leaders and commanders of a 1st generation of a space marine chapter? Is a chapter master designated from the Parent Chapter, maybe captains too, or are these marines somehow cultivated, trained, and commanded by a different governing power until they can organize and govern themselves? This interests me, and if any of you fluffy fans out there can help me out, it would be awesome to know !

Occuli Imperator

Great questions! I would love to hear some answers.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Maybe it's like with the Guard, where a number of soldiers from the 'parent' regiment are transferred as the first generation of a new regiment. Except that it would barely constitute a single company while the new recruits are raised as full Space Marines. This way the 'parent' Chapter would still be functional whilst the new one could be able to develop and contribute (to a lesser degree) to the wars of the Imperium.
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Adeptus Custodes

There is a games workshop bit of fluff on this.Unfortunately I only ha;f read it a long time ago so I can't remember it- it may have been in the the first index astartes.

All I can remember-
    1. It takes upwards of a century.
    2. It is VERY Grim dark- People are implanted with parts of the new gene seed/ combinations of gene seed and then are monitored for the rest of their lives. They are kept in some tube or possibly a frame and don't and can't move, for their entire life. They are aware the whole time.
    3. the reason it happens so rarely is because of the lenght of time it takes and the expense.

Maybe someone with the right index astartes can clarify this?
    More Necromunda please.

Adeptus Custodes

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Founding[/url]
    [url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chapter[/url]

It takes 55 years, and the test slaves are kept in statis. This is only the biological aspect though.
    More Necromunda please.

I think I read somewhere that the initial training and so on is done by a group of veterans chosen from the parent chapter. Can't remember where or when I read this though, sorry!
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Battle-Brother

The decision to create a new Space Marine Chapter is the responsibility of the High Lords of Terra.

I believe the process of creating a new Space Marines Chapter relies soully on Explorator Fleets. If the exploration finds a planet both the Inquisition and the High Lords of Terra believe to hold a good, pure stock of capable warriors that would accept Geneseeds, thus begins the process of creating an entirely new Chapter.

The New Chapter's Master would probably stem from an existing Chapter closeby, thus also providing a template on how the Chapter is structured and trained based on an already existing codex. Overtime there might be changes to this codex and thus making the Chapter truly unique.

From there the Chapter would have to be recognized by the Administratum and Tech Preists of Mars in order to create a warp-traveling fleet.

It's basically:

1.Exploration fleet find potential Chapter World.
    2.High Lords of Terra and Inquisition approves - Imperial culture assimilated into World's culture, despots either killed or kept in power.
    3. Neighboring Chapter oversees Chapter Master and potential recruits, adopts their Codex and structure.
    4. New Chapter being created. Tech Priests and Administratum recording location, strength, fleet-size, and surrounding systems.
    5. Administratum issues Imperial Guard Auxilleries and PDF forces to accomodate Chapter.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelElibas View Post
    The decision to create a new Space Marine Chapter is the responsibility of the High Lords of Terra.

I believe the process of creating a new Space Marines Chapter relies soully on Explorator Fleets. If the exploration finds a planet both the Inquisition and the High Lords of Terra believe to hold a good, pure stock of capable warriors that would accept Geneseeds, thus begins the process of creating an entirely new Chapter.

The New Chapter's Master would probably stem from an existing Chapter closeby, thus also providing a template on how the Chapter is structured and trained based on an already existing codex. Overtime there might be changes to this codex and thus making the Chapter truly unique.

From there the Chapter would have to be recognized by the Administratum and Tech Preists of Mars in order to create a warp-traveling fleet.

It's basically:

1.Exploration fleet find potential Chapter World.
    2.High Lords of Terra and Inquisition approves - Imperial culture assimilated into World's culture, despots either killed or kept in power.
    3. Neighboring Chapter oversees Chapter Master and potential recruits, adopts their Codex and structure.
    4. New Chapter being created. Tech Priests and Administratum recording location, strength, fleet-size, and surrounding systems.
    5. Administratum issues Imperial Guard Auxilleries and PDF forces to accomodate Chapter.
    Can you cite where this information is from? I've been collecting Marines since 96 and don't recall ever reading anything like that.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKnight15624 View Post
    Can you cite where this information is from? I've been collecting Marines since 96 and don't recall ever reading anything like that.
    Its not information on the net. Its a conglomeration of things that I believe would need to happen in order to create a whole new Space Marine Chapter. Surplus Geneseed is collected via Tithe and then deleivered by explicit order of the High Lords of Terra (from what I gathered from the Badab Wars book).

Plus, I just tried to hypothosize it from how the Imperium explores the universe as a whole and is being assailed from all sides from without and within, decisions as important as another Space Marine chapter would not be taken lightly.

Unlike the Imperial Guard where regiments are created from Planetary Tithes to the Guard as a whole, Space Marines technically originate from Terra and thus, which the governorship of Terra and the Imperium as a whole is the High Lords.

It's not information from the web, just my personal thoughts of creating a new Space Marine Chapter.

That's why there's more Guard Regiments being raised than Marine Chapters; the process and armament and training is radically precise, scrutinized, and extensive, because Marines are the 'Angels of Death'.

Adeptus Custodes

on the training front- what about chapters which are not a clear successor to another? maybe they use a mix of geenseed, or gene seed of uncertain provenance or something other reason entirely?

I've also heard of chapters created to deal with a specific threat- be it a particularly dangeros xeno species or a rift into the warp
    More Necromunda please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast