BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I know the rules say everything underneath the template is hit, but there is a contradiction in plain view when it says you put the template at the base of the model firing it. Obviously nothing will be under the template when it is lying flat on the ground. In the previous example with a rhino on the hill you have to angle the template. There is nothing in the rulebook that says you are not supposed to aim the template at the target and play in two dimensions. It is a three dimensional game.

As for the 3 foot high flying stand, well that is just ridiculous. It comes with a perfectly viable stand. Alternating it would be bad form, just like targeting two different units...

The narrow end of the flamer template has to touch the base of the firing model. Page 29. This can be interpreted two ways:

A: The template has to physically touch the base of the firing model. This is rather awkward, and in cases where a model is shooting at a nearby unit (or an especially tall unit), the template weapon is held at a strange angle and is less effective. No one plays this way.

B. Holding the template above the model in a birds eye view, the narrow end much touch the firing model. We all know how this works.

Everyone plays by method B. It's not fair to normally play by method B, and then require method A when firing against your Valk/Stormraven/Trygon/whatever.

In the outside chance that your group actually plays by method A, then it likewise wouldn't be fair to switch to method B in situations where it benefits you.

My point is that the flame template shouldn't be infinitely tall. It should be as tall as it is wide.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    And your wrong about measuring to the model...its from a top down view, not a 3d viewmetric....or else I could stick a valk on a flying base 3 feet high and be out of range of all your weapons, cos they have to emasure to the hull (:P). it measures to the hull from a top down view...
    source, page, refering paragraph?

ya know in a 3-dimensional world you must specifically state if something is measured in any other way.

it is really fun when people try to use rapid fire weapons/meltaguns on a voidraven with nightfields (chassi of eldar phoenix, mounted on valk base).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger! View Post
    My point is that the flame template shouldn't be infinitely tall. It should be as tall as it is wide.
    And you're basing that on?

Chapter-Master

well, you could site the ruins rules.

The flyer in question isn't in a ruin, those rules are irrelevant.

Chapter-Master

The ruins rule appliues because the floor and roof stops the "flames" changing levels.

By the same rules if i use a barrage weapon (like a Artilllery battery) are you saying that blast shouldn't be infintly tall? If it hits a valk and the guys standing next to it are you suggesting that doesn't hit both?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

That is how I play. If the template is turned vertical and it would touch other units then they are hit. But if it scatters off the valkyrie then it would land on the ground.

There is no where in the rulebook that says flame/blast templates are infinetly tall. And it also doesn't say anything about turning tempates on their side, but in the absence of these rules I feel that this is by far the most logical solution.

Chapter-Master

That is a really unusual way to play...but each to their own I guess!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast