BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I agree each to their own, but I wish GW would faq this issue. Giant collumns of doom that fall from the heavens wasnt what I had in mind when a guardsmen is holding a flamer or grenade launcher.

Chapter-Master

Was never a problem till the Valk and now the storm raven on big flying stands.

I would say i know more people to play it my way, but yeah each to their own...

Gets more confusing when the rules for skimmers say ignore the base, and only the model itself...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DrWobbles View Post
    say an infantry unit is parked near a valkyrie or stormraven or any vehicle with one of those new 'flyer' stands. an enemy unit targets the vehicle with a flamer while simultaneously coating the infantry unit in purifying flame.

is this legal? or is the vehicle too high up to hit the infantry due to the height of its base?

Arguement #1: anything under the template from a bird's eye view would get hit.

Arguement #2: the template doesn't have the volume to cover both

i would side with #1 because the rules only describe buildings as having more than one level or plane. i can't find a description or rule set for varying model heights.

A clear concise answer would be greatly appreciated.
    Skimmers, like all other standard Warhammer models, are models that are considered to be at the level of their base in all ways except LOS. This is done to prevent certain kinds of rules abuses. A model with its base on the ground is considered to be on that level, and subject to any template attacks at that level, unless it has the Flyer special rule.

Do you have a reference? Or are you just assuming that's the way it is to be played?

I'm of the belief that it seems logical to assume the foamed template is *roughly* as wide as it is tall. If you fire a flamethrower at a squad of enemy infantry, it's going to form a rough cone, not a massive column of fire that also hits a nearby VTOL.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger! View Post
    Do you have a reference? Or are you just assuming that's the way it is to be played?
    I dojn't think theres a direct reference, but its implied a little. Skimmers (even valks) block LOS (I think). And the fact that footsloggers can assault the valk, without suddenly being 50 feet tall...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Porty1119 View Post
    I'm of the belief that it seems logical to assume the foamed template is *roughly* as wide as it is tall. If you fire a flamethrower at a squad of enemy infantry, it's going to form a rough cone, not a massive column of fire that also hits a nearby VTOL.
    Except I'm pretty sure the description of flamers involve a stream of burning liquid. I don't find it hard to believe that if you shot something above the ground, gravity would make the liquid fall on everything below it.

Also, flamers are infinatly high, they can't hit flyers, after all, just skimmers which hover a few meters above the ground.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    Except I'm pretty sure the description of flamers involve a stream of burning liquid. I don't find it hard to believe that if you shot something above the ground, gravity would make the liquid fall on everything below it.

Also, flamers are infinatly high, they can't hit flyers, after all, just skimmers which hover a few meters above the ground.
    actually the fire generally doesn't all 'fall to the ground' in the area that is fired at. It has a relatively high velocity, and you you watch an flamer throwers, it goes quite a distance before dropping off. You can imagine that if you arc your fire, you'll miss things inbetween. Kinda like the hell hound.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    actually the fire generally doesn't all 'fall to the ground' in the area that is fired at. It has a relatively high velocity, and you you watch an flamer throwers, it goes quite a distance before dropping off. You can imagine that if you arc your fire, you'll miss things inbetween. Kinda like the hell hound.
    This a good point.

I guess the other arguement is that the game is an abstraction. I think this is a key point a lot of people miss.

Thats a good point about infantry assaulting valks. I can't wait for the "summer of fliers". Please fix my headache.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast