BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Psyker Battle Squad vs. Stubborn

I can't remember the name of the power cause I dont have my codex and Im hungover. But its the one that reduces the leadership. Is it useless against stubborn units?

Chapter-Master

Weaken Resolve. It causes a negative leadership modifier equal. Stubborn ignores negative leadership modifiers. Thus, unless Weaken Resolve has a clause that makes it ignore Stubborn, it is useless in this case.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

The rule says that it reduces the characteristic until the beginning of the next turn. Seeing that it isn't a modification of a leadership test, but a temporary reduction in the characteristic itself, I would say that it isn't useless against stubborn.

Librarian

it depends on how the power is worded, Stubborn negates all Negative LD changes.

"....Choose one enemy unit within 36" and line of sight of the Psyker Battle Squad. For the remainder of the turn, the enemy unit's Leadership is reduced by the number of Sanctioned Psykers in the unit utilizing the power (to a minimum of 2)"

Looks like Stubborn would negate this power.

Dark Link is correct, for exactly the reasons he has stated.

From page 76 of the BRB:

"When taking Morale tests, stubborn units always ignore negative Leadership modifiers."

Weaken Resolve's effect is most certainly a negative leadership modifier, thus it is pretty clearly ignored.

Chaplain

Leadership modifiers would be things like ordnance barrage, assault result mod, etc. Weaken resolve doesn't modify the taking of a leadership or morale test, it affects the characteristic for a turn. Stubborn means that when you test vs Leadership there are no negative modifiers. Weaken resolve just can change the base you use to take it in the first place.

When the power is used, no test is taken by the target unit. Later in the turn, the unit whose resolve is weakened must use their leadership characteristic but cannot suffer negative modifiers to the leadership test if they are stubborn.

It is not addressed in the IG FAQ.

Stubborn vs. Losing an Assault by 1

Unit is forced to take a morale check
    Leadership is at -1
    Stubborn ignores negative Leadership modifiers when taking morale tests
    Unit is taking a test, so it ignores all negative modifiers
    Assault loss is a negative modifier
    Unit takes test at base Leadership

Stubborn vs. Weaken Resolve (6), then taking a save for losing 25% casualties

PBS uses Weaken Resolve, reducing Unit's Leadership by 6
    Unit takes casualties
    Unit is forced to take a morale check
    Leadership is at -6
    Stubborn ignores negative Leadership modifiers when taking morale tests
    Unit is taking a test, so it ignores all negative modifiers
    Weaken Resolve is a negative modifier
    Unit takes test at base Leadership

Please explain to me, how does Weaken Resolve not negatively modify Leadership? It doesn't matter when it does it, it still does it. Which means, when it comes time to take a morale test, you ignore the modifier.

Stubborn makes you ignore leadership penalties when taking morale checks. This leads me to believe that when taking morale checks a stubborn unit would ignore the effects of Weaken Resolve. However, the unit would still take the leadership penalty when taking other leadership tests, such as pinning and psychic tests.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    Weaken resolve doesn't modify the taking of a leadership or morale test, it affects the characteristic for a turn.
    You're absolutely right about that. However, Stubborn doesn't say it only affects modifiers to Morale tests; it says it affects modifiers to Leadership during Morale tests. There's a big difference between the two, mostly the fact that the first one doesn't really exist.

Also, its important to note that Stubborn does not have any affect during Leadership tests (Psychic tests, Counter-attack, Mindphase Gauntlet, etc.)

Chapter-Master

I'll just note that I didn't actually check the rule.

This is the most annoying thing GW does with its rules; they rarely define things precisely. Does Stubborn ignore just Modifiers or anything that changes the number you compare to when you roll the dice? Is Weaken Resolve a Modifier or does it just change the characteristic?
    Last edited by DarkLink; 02-14-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast