BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Definitions and rules change from edition to edition. In the rules 'turn' means players turn (page 9). The space marine codex says a librarian may use a psychic power each 'player turn' (as an example). Same goes for every other codex. The thing then boils down to this:

1) Psychic Shooting attacks may only be done in your player turn so those are out the window.
    2) Force Dome is used in the librarian's movement phase so that is out the window.
    3) Quickening is used at the beginning of the Librarians assault phase so that is out the window.
    4) Null Zone is used at the start of the Librarian's shooting phase so that is out the window.
    5) Might of the Ancients is used at the beginning of the Librarian's assault phase so that is out the window
    6) Gate of Infinity is used in the beginning librarian's movement phase.

That means that all Codex: Space Marine psychic powers can only be used in their player turn........but only because the powers specifically restrict them to doing so.

Some powers in other armies have no such restrictions (blood angels for example).

The Dark Mechanic

It's the same for everyone's psychic powers regardless of Codex. No one is casting Gift of Chaos or Jaws of the World Wolf during their opponent's turn. Psychic powers are done in your own player turn unless that spell comes with specific language that says otherwise. This whole thread was just another wacky attempt to twist the rules and get other people to validate it.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 02-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Sorry Brass but its pretty clear that you can.

third paragraph page 50 "psykers can use one psychic power per player turn"

The Dark Mechanic

So everyone everywhere has been doing this wrong forever? I don't think so. It's like that nutty "everyone can use the Space Marines' teleport homers" crap that got spewed out when the current SM Codex was released. Or the people who tried to cheat with Chaos Dreadnoughts by saying they could launch smoke to avoid the effects of rolling Fire Frenzy on the behavior table when the intent of the rules and that table are quite clear.

Read the battle reports from the GW studio in White Dwarf or on the GW website. Has anyone ever done such a thing during a studio game largely designed to demonstrate rules and tactics using those rules? If the answer is no, there's a reason for that. Because you can't do it.

You can't twist the language like that. You get to move your models once per player turn too, but it's pretty clear that it's once per YOUR player turn. Or is it? Maybe I can move my models in both player turns! See, others can come up with crazy hair-brained stuff too. Good luck finding someone willing to let you cast Jaws of the World Wolf or anything else like that during THEIR turn. You are in for a rude surprise if you try it. Have fun finding opponents with that twist on the rules.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 02-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chaplain

I totally agree with Brass Scorpion here, when it says 'per player turn' it means YOUR turn NOT your opponent's. The only exception to this is when the psychic power actually specifies this, eg. the blood angel psychic power which says you can use it in either your or your opponent's assault phase

Moving and shooting both specifically mention you may do it during your movement phase and shooting phase.
    Psychic shooting attacks count as firing a weapon so can only be done during your shooting phase, so this really only applies to buffs and debuffs for the most part.
    Jaws is a psychic shooting attack so I wouldn't be asking my opponent to let me cast it in his turn because its specifically says I can't on page 50

What about Might of Heroes, Shield of Sanguinius, Sanguine Sword and Unleash Rage, Brass Scorpion?

In fairness to him they specify a casting time so are outside the arguement. To be honest from what I can remember the only thing I can see it really applying to is force weapons as everything else has a specific casting window, for example fortune must be cast as the start of the Eldar player's turn

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    You can't twist the language like that. You get to move your models once per player turn too, but it's pretty clear that it's once per YOUR player turn. Or is it? Maybe I can move my models in both player turns! See, others can come up with crazy hair-brained stuff too. Good luck finding someone willing to let you cast Jaws of the World Wolf or anything else like that during THEIR turn. You are in for a rude surprise if you try it. Have fun finding opponents with that twist on the rules.
    So, the argument isn't "can I cast any psychic power in the opponents turn" but something like a Force Weapon?

Would you deny your opponent the use of it in your turn because he cast something on his?

If so, then you're the one that's playing wrong. Legacy =/= correct.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

The blood angels psychic power 'shield of sanguinius' specifically states its used in your opponents shooting phase. there are also other powers that are used during ANY assault phase, this is different than say YOUR assault phase like some of the tyranid psychic powers. Also, any reference to 'turn' is refering to the players turn, there are essentially two player turns in one game turn.
    Last edited by Cheeseburger!; 02-15-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast