BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Advice on Primers

What would be a good route to go with me buying primers, I'm going to pick some up tomorrow, but I want some advice. I am thinking of a black primer to be honest, but yeah, where do you think is the best place to get them, what brands are good, the works.

Veteran-Sergeant

That's a huge topic, but fortunately it's one that's been covered. Should be a BoLS article someplace if you pop it into the search bar on the blog.

Librarian

thank you, i appreciate the help

Battle-Brother

Flat black or white Krylon spray paint works nicely. You can get it at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or any other store that sells paint. It's also dirt cheap, which is great.

Don't even bother with the GW stuff, though. There are several much cheaper products that produce better results.

Chapter-Master

Go to your nearest auto parts store (Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc) and get a couple cans of the Duplicolor Sandable auto primer.

You'll never use anything else again.

Brother-Sergeant

Why the preference, Def? Is it something about the sandable nature of it?
    Even the Emperor and Horus have rolled 1's.

The Dark Mechanic

Krylon for black and grey, terrific quality. For white I prefer P3 as I have had issues off and on with Krylon white.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rose Widow View Post
    What would be a good route to go with me buying primers, I'm going to pick some up tomorrow, but I want some advice. I am thinking of a black primer to be honest, but yeah, where do you think is the best place to get them, what brands are good, the works.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chapter-Master

I don't know if its something about the "sandable" quality or not but its simply the best primer I've ever used on plastic, metal and resin models. As always you have to make sure that you wash the metal and resin models prior to priming.

My friend introduced me to the stuff after I had tried everything from GW to Walmart cans and had been left wanting.

I blogged a bit on the topic myself - [url]http://jayadan.com/content/thoughts-miniature-primers[/url]

Since then I've also used P3 primer which is the brand that I mostly use these days - but it's really a toss up between that and the Army Painter primers and they really approach priming from opposite ends of the spectrum (Armypainter being fairly thick, P3 being really thin) but both get the job done.