BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will the New GK codex replace the DaemonHunters Codex

Logic says yes but from a rules perspective, they actually have different names and might not have all of the same unit so has GW actually said that it will?

Librarian

One cannot generally apply logic to anything that involves GW.

But I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't.

I'm kinda wondering about this codex more than any other. Is it codex GK? if so, why all the other non GK stuff. Or is it codex DH? What becomes of the WH codex. If you use it, are you stuck with the old rules for Assassins's or are you allowed to use the new codex versions? What if Inq. Lord Karamazov is worse than the WH version? Doubtful I know, but what if you prefer it? Many questions.

Codex: Catachans?

Codex: Grey Knights will replace Codex: Daemonhunters. The name change is there to showcase the emphasis being placed on the Grey Knights, rather than the Inquisitorial aspects of the codex.

If GW ever gets around to it, then Codex: Sisters of Battle (which is the probable name) will replace Codex: Witchhunters.

Common sense: "Codex: Grey Knights replaces Codex: DaemonHunters"

RAW-hugging/exploiting: "Codex: Grey Knights doesn't replace Codex: DaemonHunters! They aren't the same exact name so therefore one doesn't replace another!"

The new GK codex allows you to still run Inquisitorial armies through one hero's special ability removing restrictions on henchmen as requiring an Inquisitor. There really isn't a reason to run the older codex but I'm sure some will be jerks about it and try to get allied Inquisitors with Emperor's Tarot or something.

Librarian

Well, if you really wanted to, you could probably use the "name's different!" argument to use the old Daeomnhunters codex. As we know, it's probably one of the best codexes out there with units that are certainly not overpriced.

Seriously, why would anyone want to use the old, underpowered Daemonhunters codex?

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Seriously, why would anyone want to use the old, underpowered Daemonhunters codex?
    Allies, if they don't exist in the new codex. If allies are gone or mystics are changed in the new codex, what will Titan players use to defend their precious killbots from deep striking meltagun units?

Yes, it does replace C: DH. Of course, thre is nothing stopping you continuing to use the old codex if you want. But its a pretty damned silly idea, C: DH is obsolete, overcosted and underpowered in 5th edition. Not to say its uncompetitive, but the new one looks quite fun (and balanced, in my opinion).
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

This is a pointless discussion. If we are going on the basis of the name, then I can still use the original Tau codex as that one is called 'Tau', whereas the current one is called 'Tau Empire'! Of course its meant to replace and update the DH one!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    This is a pointless discussion. If we are going on the basis of the name, then I can still use the original Tau codex as that one is called 'Tau', whereas the current one is called 'Tau Empire'! Of course its meant to replace and update the DH one!
    I would not be suprised if people argue that very point (That Tau Empire doesn't replace Tau).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast