BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Reading through the codex as I type.

Ward's still a complete hack as a fluff writer. His new iteration of "doom/nemesis/psy" everything wouldn't have passed muster at a 10th grade creative writing class. I don't know why the editors at GW give him a pass.

It's ridiculous DC comics-esque writing, and completely out of tune with the rest of the game. It's just as bad, if not more so, than the tragedy that is the naming conventions in the BA 'dex.

And yes, given all the fluff surrounding the GK, particularly that their gene seed is directly from the Emperor, I find it very hard to believe any need for them to annoint themselves in the blood of Sisters, who've already proven to resist the aforementioned taint, just to be able to perservere. I would've thought it even slightly misogynistic, save that Ward spares the rod nowhere else, either.

Though the bit where a bunch of GK, having successfully defeated the Company of Shadow (oooh, boo-scary!) promptly get fusion-bombed out of existence (save for Modrak) by Huron Blackheart, who wasn't even aware they were there. He was hoping to settle his own score with the CoS...amusing.

Now, as a quick aside--I am very put out that inquisitors are an HQ only option...*razzlefrazzleglurbargh*

Edit: This point is only further supported a few codex paragraphs later when the GK's attack Huron's flagship, only to be assisted by the ghosts of their fusion-bombed brethren?!?!?! Utter. Fail.
    Last edited by scadugenga; 04-01-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yes but Grey Knights have sigils all over their armour and on their skin (from memory) to protect against Chaotic taint, and all of a sudden they need to slaughter some of their erstwhile allies and bathe in their blood? Sorry but that is just rubbish, why does SoB blood have mystical power all of a sudden? Why is it suddenly more powerful than all the other Grey Knight protections? If SoB blood is such powerful anti-chaotic stuff why aren't they filling their flamer bottles with the stuff? Also, what is wrong with just having each sister donate a few pints?

Once a month, every planet with SoB on it is secure from daemonic taint.
    Not if they were sneaking in some guys into the abbeys ...

Oh, wait! The Emperor is the only man for them, so the thought of them getting pregos is, um, heretical. ;P

Librarian

Too bad this book wasn't written with the same writing that was in the Omnibus from BL. That had good storys in it, that truely show off what a smart GK can/will do.. AND while they did fight SOB's they eventually befriend them and they both attack chaos.(In truth, the SOB's Cannoness is also to credit with the alliance)

None of this, "Give me your blood! Say wha-(insert killing noises here) Nonsense that Ward seems to think up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    If you think that bit in the Grey Knights fluff is sick and demented, do yourself a favor and never read Chaos Daemons or Dark Eldar.
    The difference is, those guys ARE sick and demented, so that's how you have to write about them. But GKs are not. Sure, you could have them kill Sisters because they had come into contact with the warp and the GKs thought they could be tainted, that kind of **** happens all the time in 40k. But what he wrote they do is something chaos-aligned factions would do, not GK.

TL: DR He wrote non-chaos units doing chaos-y stuff, as if that was "holy". That's sick.

Personally this all just seems silly.

This is nothing but Melissa and other sister players raging because their sisters get slaughtered for the greater good. (you know what I mean)
    Come on, be happy that they are actually mentioned in the fluff at all. And it's hardly misogynic, they kill everyone! Not killing sisters because they are blessed would be alot more misogynic if anything. Playing on the constant theme of girls are holy and pure and always manage to survive, lets get them into the boats first while the men stay behind and die. Can't have it both ways.

And as for them needing the blood of the innocent to stay pure. Well, it's retarded but makes kind of sense. If everything but the sisters had been corrupted there, why not use them as protection? They were probably going to kill them all afterwards anyway. The risk of taint being to high.

Look at it this way. You are going to kill subject A no matter what. Killing him now might grant you +1 against corruption, killing him later might give you a body shield.
    You are convinced of your own invulnerability.
    What do you choose?

Er, no we are angry because it makes no sense whatsover, however you try and rationalise it. Grey Knights have been incorruptible since 2nd edition, now all of a sudden they need to kill SoB not to be corrupted? Honestly, one of the biggest retcons of GK fluff there is and people are trying to brush it off because it involves SoB. It's absurd.

Your example makes no sense, SoB aren't civilians or guardsmen, they have never been subject to extermination due to contact with Chaos. Their Faith prevents corruption. So your example really runs like this:

You aren't going to kill Subject A because they are incorruptible. But, you can kill them anyway, bathe in their blood for a little boost against a foe which isn't going to corrupt you, either. Except for the fact you are now bathing in your allies blood like, say, Kharn might do. So hurray, the once incourruptible Grey Knights are now behaving like Chaos Marines just for lulz.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

All I have to say is, lord kaldor draigo.........omgroflcopter!
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

"Give me your heart Mortarion! I need to sign it!"
    ‘I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor.’

Chaplain

Yeah lets see here, your average grey knight, wears blessed and sanctified armour designed to fight off taint and malign powers, then he adorns said armour with blessed words, scriptors, purity seals and finally they have special hexagramic wards incorporated into every suit. Then you have them with (if i'm right) hexagramic style tattoo's again to ward of evil, taint and unholy suggestions. And finally and most importantly each and every one of said grey knights undergoes years of special training, testing and blessings to strengthen their minds against yes again Taint.

Now explain to me why then, if they are so called uncorruptable and can never be turned would they ever need to bathe in innocent blood to strengthen themselves more? Are they saying they are not strong enough to fight this enemy? IS that doubt i hear, now doubt leads to fear and fear leads to weakness and weakness leads to taint.

So Matt Ward is a hypocritical munchkin who cannot keep his stories straight, needs to make up stupid fluff. Sounds to me and others here that what the Grey Knights did was doubt themselves and slaughter the innocent who just happened to be the one fighting force on the planet who can equal them in Faith, purity and untainted souls. Yet here we read (all because of a munchkin) that they justify themselves killing off SoB so they can claim rights to a Daemon weapon...sounds more again like Taint to me.
    Your arguement this is all Melissia's fault and other SoB players like myself are just being "silly" is silly in itself.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Librarian

As a Grey Knight player myself, the ONLY time I'd ever kill SOB's is when a certain Chaos player throws his Chosen Sisters at my forces.
    "They shall be redeemed in fire"

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast