BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy the right bases and put them on than go and make lines on all your bases? Not to mention you can't exactly shrink round bases if the need arises. Not sure on the base sizes for all the demon models, but there are plenty of armies in Fantasy that use smaller bases than 40k models do.

Veteran-Sergeant

Not if you want to use your army for both 40K and Fantasy (Like the OP wants to do), which is the point of putting them on round bases (And buying LoTR movement trays for Fantasy)

I don't know what you're talking about 'shrinking'. It's simple; you put the bases in the movement tray with the appropriate number of models. Then, you mark the spots where the bases should touch each other. Presto, you have Chaos Daemons that you can use in both 40K and Fantasy. All that really matters is the unit 'footprint', and not that each unit goes on a square base.

Since most people use movement trays in Fantasy anyways, it doesn't really do anything to affect the game that much.

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    I run a Chaos Daemons army in 40k, and have recently been considering using them in Fantasy.

Now, to save myself some bother I've been thinking about rebasing everything onto the square fantasty bases and just running them that way in 40k as well.

Is this a big deal?
    I've been doing it that way for 2 decades and never had a problem, but I only play with friends. Exact base sizes are much more crucial in Fantasy than 40K and a 25mm is a 25mm pretty much square or round, so I go with the square for the ranking up necessity of Fantasy.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Librarian

One option I have heard used for switching like this is magnetizing the feet of your models and the bottom of your bases, and when you switch in between game types just switch out your bases. Get the right magnets and this is perfect, bigger magnets for the big units, small magnets for the 25mm ones. This would satisfy anyone who would have reason to complain at all about the inability to follow certain rules as you would use square bases on them when its fantasy, and just switch to the round for 40k. The added benefit is that with 40 many of the measurements go to the base, and if there is that extra corner sticking out that can fake it being closer and might be disadvantageous. So it has dual benefits, and keeps people from crying foul play.

just an idea though.

Chaplain

Well for anyone to wanting to make their army look even better, i'd say the question is how far are you willing to go to make them look just that much better?

For all my Salamander SM's i have ordered pre-painted lava bases from a guy on Ebay. Looks fantastic with every figure i have on those. Needed to buy like 10 packets of ten bases and a few Dreadnought bases too do it all.
    Now im buying 300+ city ruin bases from another person for all my SoB, and to top it all off, i found a guy who will do custom work bases so he is making me ruin corners on 25mm bases for 3 squads of Seraphins to be based on.
    When i have the bases which im very happy to be paying for his work will post them on BoLs, for anyone else who wants his great work.
    So, to answer your question, bases are a great way to make your army stand out that little more. Don't forget they have to be legal for the game though.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

I'm making up my daemons army for 40k and Fantasy, and around here people would rather see square in fantasy than round in Fantasy.

I'm magnetizing everything. 20-30 dollars in Rare Earth magnets is more than enough to do the entire army on two bases, with magnets left over for mounts and equipment (gift) options. IMO, it's the way to go.

I've got a misty-base thing going on so the magnets are well-hidden.

Whatever you go with, just check with your local TOs so you can still participate in tourneys if you want to.

[url]http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=103[/url]

Problem solved.

Cheers.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to buy the right bases and put them on than go and make lines on all your bases? Not to mention you can't exactly shrink round bases if the need arises. Not sure on the base sizes for all the demon models, but there are plenty of armies in Fantasy that use smaller bases than 40k models do.
    Sir, the point of my question was using the square fantasy bases in 40k.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenImp View Post
    I'm making up my daemons army for 40k and Fantasy, and around here people would rather see square in fantasy than round in Fantasy.

I'm magnetizing everything. 20-30 dollars in Rare Earth magnets is more than enough to do the entire army on two bases, with magnets left over for mounts and equipment (gift) options. IMO, it's the way to go.

I've got a misty-base thing going on so the magnets are well-hidden.

Whatever you go with, just check with your local TOs so you can still participate in tourneys if you want to.
    How did you do your magnetizing?

Someone at my local store recommended mounting the models to washers and magnetizing the bases.

I just use CA glue to adhere a set of magnets to the base and the model (Tzeentch daemons can usually get away with a single pair of magnets) then when that dries I re-enforce it with a little epoxy to keep it firmly on. My Daemon Prince required two sets on each foot, but with four sets of earth magnets in contact, he's there to stay. A metal washer would have been nice on the top of the base, but the sheer strength of using the two magnets in contact is worth the trouble. The main obstacle for others would be how to disguise the magnet, which might require drilling.

A small amount of metal on the model and a magnet in the base might work as well.

For the plastic models, the cotton I use tends to help support the model, actually. Working well so far, but I only have a unit of Tzeentch Pink Horrors, some Heralds of Tzeentch (one with a disc), three flamers, and a daemon prince actually done so far. The metal flamers are the biggest problem, but even they stay decently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast