BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Librarian

I said at the start
    Yes, I know the game is not designed for games of 500 points, so please don't raise that
    The challenge here is to take the limitations, and try to invent something that can actually win a game.

Yes, it's unbalanced, hard, and near impossible.This is deliberate.
    So why did you then say

Normal Force Org in 500 points doesn't work. Try rules similar to Combat Patrol. Adepticon seems to have it ironed out.
    I was aware of this at the start!

Necrons will always have a challenge to build a competetive list (I would say regardless of point levels, although that's a topic for a different thread! Don't be angry all you Necron players! ) until their new codex comes out, and I don't feel that my comments were a slap in the face; I'm not getting at anyone, I'm not being aggressive about it, as all the limitations of the challenge were clearly delineated in the very first post.

The challenge is what it is. So play along or don't, but please don't accuse me of giving people a slap in the face. If you don't like the challenge, that's cool. Just ignore this! You don't have to have a go! If you want to do Adepticon's combat patrol, then that's fine to. I don't, and I'm not going to; nothing against Adepticon, it's just that this challenge is exactly that - difficult and weird and clumsy and I'm not sorry about that. Think of it as a thought experiment if you like.

This is an entirely different challenge to anything else, and some armies (which is to say, Necrons), for whatever reason, cannot have a winning build. I have no problem with this, and I genuinely don't care, as a.) the challenge isn't actually supposed to be fair and balanced, and unlike a tournament, has absolutely no pretentions at being so, and b.) I just won't make those armies at this point level.

Brother-Captain

Imperial Guard Foot List (Mech is for wussies!)

Lord Commissar with Power Weapon and Meltabombs

1st Platoon
    HQ with Flamer
    2 Infantry Squads with Missile Launchers and Grenade Launchers

2nd Platoon
    Same as 1st

Guardsman Marbo

500 points on the nose!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by The Dave View Post
    Troll. -1. Dislike.
    Just because you disagree does not make me a troll. Necrons have problems. Those problems aren't going to go away unless you desperately shift the rules back into their favor. Necrons ALSO have a well-rounded troop unit that can deal with any threat on the board, if they get enough shots at it. They will even survive more retaliation than just about any other army in the game due to WBB. Are they amazing at everything? No, and they still wouldn't be even if you gave them upgrades.

Accept that this one army is going to have a difficult time. Just do it. It's going to make the rest of your wait for a new codex so much easier. Necrons deserve a new codex, desperately need one. But when the goal is so clearly laid out, there is no point in arguing against a force that is 100% in compliance with all the major rules and expectations.

Here is a great, functional necrons list:

Lord with Res Orb

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

Put them in cover and open up. Which when you get down to it is exatly what you would do with anything else.

But on the chance you want something more interesting:

Lord with Destroyer body and Warscythe

10 Warriors
    10 Warriors

Now you just run the T6 destroyer lord out and go to town on a few hapless mortals. And shoot the crap out of everything else.

hehe yep charge that lord right out into a couple of melta guns and power weapons!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Necron Lord and 2x10 Warriors.
    That was my exact thought for my tin heads. A Lord with resorb and 20 Warriors. The Warriors are iconic enough, they are all over the cover of the Codex. You can also look back to their 'glory days' in 4th edition and the hate they stirres up when across the table from someone.

Librarian

Wow. You really have much bigger troubles than an old codex if you are intentionally running into power weapons that can kill your T6 S5 hq that ignores all saves.

Initiate

Nothing is more fun than a 500p list! Quick and easy to play.

With IG, where units can be either cheap or expensive "elite" its even better. I've created two lists where one is a small gunline, and the other is more mobile and INYOFACE.

HQ: 145p
    Command Squad w/ 4 melta in chimera

Troop: 110p
    Veteran Squad w/ 2 plasma guns, autocannon

Troop: 95p
    Veteran squad w/ 1 plasma gun, autocannon

Heavy Support: 150p
    Leman Russ Battle Tank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HQ: 145p
    Command Squad w/ 4 melta in chimera

Elite: 65p
    Guardsman Marbo

Troop: 80p
    Penal Legion

Troop: 190p Infantry Platoon
    PCM w/ 2 flamers
    Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher
    Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher

Fast Attack: 60p
    Armoured Sentinel w/ autocannon

done this up in about ten minutes.

razorwing jetfighter w/ shatterfield missile

haemonculus

5 warriors

5 warriors

13 hellions

the expression on the opponents face when i drop a jet in behind his troops would be just priceless.

Librarian

Looks good nutsy. if you had extra points for the missile tough it would have been better to spend them on defense our uprating a unit.

yeah i might add a little more anti-tank to that list, depending on how things go.

but here, it's troop heavy everything with the biggest amount of vehicles being two chimeras and a hydra. but they can't shoot what's out of range. tee hee hee.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast