BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Now back to 40k. Lets say you want to play Space Marines in 2,000 point games. That's $35 for the codex, about $200 for the army, $10 for dice, a crappy tape measure you probably already have in a drawer some where and if you don't know anyone with the rulebook, $57 for the rulebook.
    $200 for a space marine army? How? Are you getting better prices than what I get?

Don't want to poke a nerve or anything but, I can create a long list detailing why I should not try or do anything.....ever. Just because its difficult you say give up before you even try?

Facebook-mass emails-word of mouth-everyone knows someone who visits forums or facebook, its really not that complicated. You go ahead and just quit before you try though that seems to be the way most people deal with things these days.

As before don't want to bicker, but saying its too hard and making a list why is a very lame excuse, although a lot faster and easier then actually trying to make a difference.
    Nerve picked

my point wasn't that it was hard in fact where did i ever say it was too hard? If i want to fight for something i will. so don't suggest that i'm some sort of quitter when you have no idea who i am.

the point i was making was that a web arranged boycott will have no impact for reason's listed. but again someone hasn't been reading have they? My list was in response to a boycott of buying, not to spamming the net with protest through emails and over forums.

As to making a difference. Go up to GW HQ and protest outside with banners and chants. That might get some attention.

As a student i've had a lot to get wound up about the past year. We tried and what did it get us?

Sometimes protesting/uproar from a community can work, but you have to be realistic sometimes. And thats what i'm being, realistic. A web boycott won't work for said reasons. That doesn't mean you have to give up. If you want to make your voice heard make it heard, but think big.

I have nothing to protest against. So i'm not producing any lame excuses or giving up over anything. I was however pointing out flaws in a planned scheme and as a result, maybe a new better plan could be suggested or developed by those wishing to protest.

Fighting for what you think is right is great, but you have to have a decent plan.

In future read everything first

Quote Originally Posted by addamsfamily36 View Post
    Nerve picked

my point wasn't that it was hard in fact where did i ever say it was too hard? If i want to fight for something i will. so don't suggest that i'm some sort of quitter when you have no idea who i am.

the point i was making was that a web arranged boycott will have no impact for reason's listed. but again someone hasn't been reading have they? My list was in response to a boycott of buying, not to spamming the net with protest through emails and over forums.

As to making a difference. Go up to GW HQ and protest outside with banners and chants. That might get some attention.

As a student i've had a lot to get wound up about the past year. We tried and what did it get us?

Sometimes protesting/uproar from a community can work, but you have to be realistic sometimes. And thats what i'm being, realistic. A web boycott won't work for said reasons. That doesn't mean you have to give up. If you want to make your voice heard make it heard, but think big.

I have nothing to protest against. So i'm not producing any lame excuses or giving up over anything. I was however pointing out flaws in a planned scheme and as a result, maybe a new better plan could be suggested or developed by those wishing to protest.

Fighting for what you think is right is great, but you have to have a decent plan.

In future read everything first
    I read quite well thank you and I've read every post.

I never said anything about protesting...actually if you had READ my post you would have seen that I believe its pointless to just yell and wave hands and signs in the air.
    As far as the facebook thing with 500+ on it, thats only a small fraction, hell I don't even use facebook, but I heard about it.

If you really think not buying product for a month worldwide won't make a difference,even with the tiny small 60% we could reach, then I really have nothing else to say.

GW needs a wake up call. I think we should email their websites (not facebook) telling them what we don't like. Maybe not buy anything GW for a month or two. If they got hit with say 10,000 emails or so I bet it would get their attention. Or if they started losing money. Just a suggestion

I read quite well thank you and I've read every post.

I never said anything about protesting...actually if you had READ my post you would have seen that I believe its pointless to just yell and wave hands and signs in the air.
    As far as the facebook thing with 500+ on it, thats only a small fraction, hell I don't even use facebook, but I heard about it.

If you really think not buying product for a month worldwide won't make a difference,even with the tiny small 60% we could reach, then I really have nothing else to say.
    so ranting on facebook or going on a "buying strike" Isn't considered protesting?

I also think you've missed my point entirely. Yes if everyone worldwide didn't buy for a month then wow that would really hit home, but it won't happen. i have no idea where you have gotten 60% from, but nowhere near 60% of GW's customer base will partake in a "no buy" protest for reasons listed previously. Kids will buy what they want and will not be phased by things they don;t really understand yet. Parents will continue to buy. Hobbyist's, veterans, regulars will also not agree with he boycott and will just ignore it and those are the ones that even here about it. At my local GW at home, only 3 of us out of about 30 are on any online forums or in frequent touch with topics such as this. Also, I have noticed that a fair few people that are for the boycott idea, have stated previously in the past that they buy from the discount stockists or even from ebay. This being the case, if they jumped on board there would be no noticable effect at GW's end.

Waving banners isn't necessarily any better "hence my student protest reference", but a smart plan could be devised. But a "no buy" boycott just seems to have too many flaws for it to work.

Librarian

Anyone else notice an eerie similatry between GW and Telstra (Of about 5 years ago)?
    Last edited by Gir; 05-21-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    Anyone else notice an eerie similatry between GW and Telsra (Of about 5 years ago)?
    What's a telsra?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    What's a telsra?
    A typo. I meant to say Telstra.

For thoughs who don't know:
    Telstra was the main telecom in Aus. They owned the entire Australian network, and where huge pioneers in the telecom market. They had really really high prices because "They where a premium brand and had the best product", but they had the worst customer service in Australia because they just expected people to deal with it and buy their products anyway. People rapidly started leaving and joining smaller, better priced telecoms, causeing Telstra's share price to fall in half.

It eventually got to the point where they had to get a new CEO in, who made EVERYTHING customer centric. This saw prices fall (while still being slightly more expensive then others to maintain the premium brand), and customer sataisfaction drastically increase, and the shareprice has started to climb back up again.

(Disclaimer: I work for Telstra, and the opinions expressed in this post are not of those of Telstra)

Chapter-Master

Thanks, I wouldn't have known without the typo but the google search might have meant more lol

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    A typo. I meant to say Telstra.

For thoughs who don't know:
    Telstra was the main telecom in Aus. They owned the entire Australian network, and where huge pioneers in the telecom market. They had really really high prices because "They where a premium brand and had the best product", but they had the worst customer service in Australia because they just expected people to deal with it and buy their products anyway. People rapidly started leaving and joining smaller, better priced telecoms, causeing Telstra's share price to fall in half.

It eventually got to the point where they had to get a new CEO in, who made EVERYTHING customer centric. This saw prices fall (while still being slightly more expensive then others to maintain the premium brand), and customer sataisfaction drastically increase, and the shareprice has started to climb back up again.

(Disclaimer: I work for Telstra, and the opinions expressed in this post are not of those of Telstra)
    wasn't there a government "bailout" type arrangement in there at some point? might be a different case though because Telstra was government owned.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast