BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Just my Marines alone would be reaching towards $5k in current (Australian) prices. With my other armies, games, terrain, and supplies I'd have absolutely no idea but it would be quite a bit more. Also I didn't pay that much at the time - I bought a large number of the combat squad + razorback sets when Apoc came out, gifts, and that sort of thing.

That said it's been bought up over 20 years so on a yearly cost it can seem quite cheap, expecially when I think that I just spent almost $2.5k on a new computer. The main thing for me is time now - I need more of that to put the stuff together and paint it... but if I had the time I wouldn't be making the money to buy the stuff I need the time for!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    You can buy a gun and a little bit of ammo for that price. Maybe. Probably just a cheap handgun or bolt action, maybe a nice .22.
    What are you saying, hold up a games store?!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Banned

It's great logic - I remeber using it in my first ever AD&D game: during character creation I had enough money to buy either a sword or a horse...

Bought the sword, stole the horse.

Chaplain

lol, i'm way too tired, I didn't even catch that. That makes my previous post a bit creepy.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Librarian

Just set aside some cash each month for wargaming my limit is £120

I started collecting around the release of the black reach box set i now have Space Marines, Tau, Nids, Space Wolves and IG armys at around 3000 points i also have a smaller force of dark eldar and will be looking to start a Necron army soon

for fantasy i have a 2000 point Bretonian Army and a 8000 point Woc army

now thats scary to think how much i have spent in a relatively short time

i think i may have a Problem!
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 06-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Brother-Sergeant

[url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/05/price-of-wargaming-spring-2011.html[/url]

This article also covers things pretty well.
    Why is it the bad guys are always more interesting?

Battle-Brother

I have to say I've enjoyed all the answers, it was funny to see a couple people cringe some at how much they spent, but in the end I think we all agree we enjoy what we have spent. I do have to say though, robbing someplace, I'm not absolutely sure, but that may end my military career, or any career really lol.

As for that article, I had glanced at it earlier though I hadn't paid attention to it, guess I should have, that woudl be a good idea to compromise on creating the army. Dammit now that I have been shown its possible I have to choose between making my nid force f huge or start a new force now when I have the chance. I don't know I may try something new...besides I come back from deployment soon and my wife won't complain about me spending a ton of cash considering I've been gone for half a year lol

EDIT: I'm not saying I'm heartless, I'm just saying I have a chance to step outside of the normal allowance given for models by the wife and I may just have to take it lol
    Last edited by shadosun; 06-11-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: not a heartless creep who loves models more than his wife lol

I'd suggest to bugget your army so it can be picked up piece meal, this is what I do. Only one or two plastic kitz and month that I can afford in my budget/disposable income.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Librarian

1. Become a student.
    2. Take Denzark's taxes
    3. Spend in GW
    4. ????
    5. Profit
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Chaplain

My GK army sits at around 4000 pts.
    It cost me around $900 to put together.
    The secret. Second hand goods and good internet deals. Also not needing to have the latest and 'greatest' for every model.

Paying full AUS retail, it would have cost over $2000 (ACTUAL COST). The sucky GW price policy for ROW didn't help their retail arm here.

46 GKPA at 5 models for $55 AUD, this equates to 9 boxes. $495 AUD ($170)
    16 GKT (including 5 plastic terminator conversions, and 1 SM Termie librarian). 3 boxes at $74 = $222 AUD ($120)
    Land Raider $110 AUD ($50)
    Storm Raven $110 AUD ($20 scratchbuilt with cadged spares).
    Rhinos (4) = $220 ($40 second hand old RT pattern ones).
    1 Coteaz $28 ($18 - 3rd ed SM captain converted with bits).
    60 henchmen various types
    40 Storm troopers $276 ( $150)
    10 servitors - 5 with heavy weapons). $85 (About $60).
    Crusaders (6) $102 ($50 - converted METAL SM scouts with bits).
    DCA (2) $25 ($15)
    Jokaero (2) $42 ($5 -two free 28mm sasquatch models , some guitar string and beads)
    Dreadnoughts (2) $148 ($80)
    Assassins (6) 2 of each Callidus, Vindicare and Eversor $150 ($70)
    Nemesis Dread Knight $90AUD ($43) (*New model, from UK via Maelstrom).

Totals - GW RRP $2103AUD ($891AUD)

It's possible for US and UK players to put together a 2000pt army for less than $700USD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast